Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA Instrument Rating in Europe

Peter wrote:

What are the reasons for the FAA IR issues in the UK?

I know only of the issues with FAA checkrides, due to the exclusive rights given to specific individuals.

Training is no problem.

I was told by RNAV Europe that they couldn’t do it in the UK due to some prohibition on training. That’s why they’re based at LFAT.

There’s some stuff on it here: https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-industry/Airlines/Licensing/Foreign-carrier-permits/Foreign-carriers-permit—-aerial-work/

We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK

This is a very old one

The FAA accepts all training worldwide, done with ICAO instructors.

AFAIK nobody has ever found a reference to the contrary.

There is no requirement to nominate in advance the flights to be towards the FAA IR.

So eg flying with a UK CAA IRI in a G reg would count.

The restrictions on aerial work in N regs etc are a separate issue.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The FAA accepts all training worldwide, done with ICAO instructors.

AFAIK nobody has ever found a reference to the contrary.

There is no requirement to nominate in advance the flights to be towards the FAA IR.

According to RNAV Europe, this is a UK issue, not an FAA one. All I know on this is they refuse to do training in the UK as a result.

We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK

jacopuzzo wrote:

following your advices, I have done further digging here in Italy and here what I have got.

That was a very good summary you wrote there… especially since I agree with all of it.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 07 Sep 13:55
LFPT, LFPN

boscomantico wrote:

And to get a validation, you do not need to go to the US.

Doesn’t adding the IR to the US certificate based on a foreign IR require a TK exam which can only be taken in the US?

LFPT, LFPN

Yes, you are probably right there. The plain PPL validation can be obtained without going to the US.

Anyway, it still would only be a validation, and the FAA license and IR rating would be dependant on the underlying EASA license.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 07 Sep 14:00
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

According to RNAV Europe, this is a UK issue, not an FAA one. All I know on this is they refuse to do training in the UK as a result

That is however irrelevant to the question. You can get the training elsewhere. It is the checkride which gets tricky.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hi,
Here my exchange of email with the FAA New York FSDO

Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 5:40 AM
To: xxxxxxx (FAA) <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: EASA license transfer

Hello xxx,
I have received the permanent certificate last July.
Now I’m considering adding the Instrument Rating to my EASA license.
Once I get the EASA IR rating, what should I do to legally fly my N registered plane under IFR?
Thanks in advance for your help,
Regards
Roberto

Da: <[email protected]>
Data: 7 settembre 2017 16:10:07 CEST
A:
Oggetto: RE: EASA license transfer

You’ll need to take the IFP exam (instrument foreign pilot) and visit our office with a valid verification letter.

M. xxxxx
NEW YORK FSDO-15

I guess I need to buy a ticket to New York…..

@Boscomantico

I have no idea of the difference between validation and conversion; as from my first post I’m just looking for the easiest way to legally fly my N plane IFR in Europe.
From EASA I’m looking for the answer I was not able to get so far from ENAV: is it legal to fly in Italy an N aircraft with just an FAA IR until 2019?
Haven’t got a straight answer anywhere so far…another reason to go EASA first.

@Boscomantico

BTW , even for the plain PPL I had to go to FAA office in the US (New York) with a valid verification letter.
To get an appointment in New York you need to go trough a security check (questionnaire, passport copy..) that took 10 days to be completed

No, there are two FAA examiners in Europe which can all this right at your home. Maybe you didn’t know this, but that’s a different story. It costs quite a bit of money, but even that’s another story. Travelling over to the US isn’t cheap either (if it’s just for that purpose).

Last Edited by boscomantico at 07 Sep 16:04
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message