Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA IR and UK IR combined - training suggestions

Hi there,

I’m planning to start training for an FAA IR.

My plane is N-reg (based in the UK), and I hold a UK PPL + FAA 61.75

I’m researching schools in the US that can help me with the process and training. I plan to do some of the flight training here in Europe and then travel to the US to complete the process over there.

I would love to hear your suggestions for US schools that can do FAA IR and UK IR, and locations in case someone has a good/bad experience to share.

Many thanks in advance.

Last Edited by Fernando at 25 Aug 12:47
EGSU, United Kingdom

Is there now a difference between a UK and an EASA IR? AFIK there are a few schools in Florida who train for FAA/EASA. No idea about UK if different. There is (was, don’t know if they still do it) one in the San Diego area. To the best of my knowledge your choices are very limited and the schools that do it are very much career pilot oriented. Which means you probably have to do the entire course with them.

Last Edited by 172driver at 25 Aug 15:12

Historically there were 6 in Florida and 1 in SoCal.

Obviously the pipeline for the FAA IR is well established and not much different from mine in 2006. Today, you can’t do any of it outside the US except that the FAA does accept all training done outside the US, so you can get a lot of training and a lot of logbook entries done over here.

If one can do anything towards a UK IR (the OP is in the UK; probably the simplest route from a UK IR to an EASA IR is to re-do the FAA to Euro conversion with an EASA rated examiner, but this is a side issue) that would be efficient. Historically only the Euro PPL could be done in the US. The Euro IR was always closely protected… but there may have been changes.

Otherwise, the main idea is to do the FAA IR, maybe fly a bit out there (IFR), come back here and knock off the 50hrs IFR PIC (this can be done on the IMCR too, possibly even before you did the FAA IR, but FTO acceptance might be “interesting”!) and do the CBIR conversion which avoids the 7 IR exams.

@Qalupalik and @Tumbleweed may know more.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

“There is (was, don’t know if they still do it) one in the San Diego area.”

American Aviation Academy, formerly Anglo-American Aviation until it was raided by ICE, was sold to Sling Academy after covid. I believe it is currently listed for sale.

“Today, you can’t do any of it outside the US except that the FAA does accept all training done outside the US…”

Of course you can still receive flight training outside the US from a US instructor. There is still a TSA security threat assessment. The FAA knowledge test needs doing in the US. The practical test is also likely restricted to the US, though it’s probably still possible to arrange for testing in Europe. The UK offers an easily obtainable visa for it.

Best route is probably an accelerated IR in the US followed by 50 PIC IFR hours then an EASA and/or UK IR skill test. Doing it this way, there is no rule requiring the skill test to be done in EASAland/UK, contrary to popular belief, though it has become the policy.

London, United Kingdom

from a US instructor

That must be a new thing. For many years, all instruction outside the US was accepted. There was this old debate. My UK IMCR training was fully accepted.

And if this still holds then no TSA clearance is needed over here because you can train “towards the UK IR”. Like I did… towards the IMCR.

If not doing any UK papers out there, any US school which meets the OP’s requirements can be used. I would look at AZ again – not many sausage machine schools there, spectacular scenery, no wx delays…

DPE services i.e. checkrides in Europe appear to have been terminated. So e.g. Hughston is finished now (for checkrides) and his website says so.

Administrator

@qalupalik thank you for your insights. An accelerated programme would probably suit me. By any chance do you have any recommendation?

Last Edited by Fernando at 25 Aug 16:03
EGSU, United Kingdom

“ For many years, all instruction outside the US was accepted.”

Flight training received from a non-U instructor outside the US is still creditable iaw 14 CFR 61.41. The endorsement for the practical test can only be given by a US instructor.

@Fernando
Will message you in about 48 hours. Or send me a Telegram message on +1 778 420 1020.

London, United Kingdom

Arizona in summer is hell.

If a student visa (M-1) is needed, search for flights schools that are SEVP certified: https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/school-search

Check whether you need a student visa here, https://www.ice.gov/doclib/sevis/pdf/Nonimmigrant%20Class%20Who%20Can%20Study.pdf

A Part 141 US IR does not require the applicant to have 50 PIC XC hours. That makes it an attractive course to do immediately after the PPL.

London, United Kingdom

OK; concur on all.

AZ is nice in the winter. I was there in Feb. Stayed on UK time for the 2 weeks. 1 flight 8am 1 flight 2pm. Shagged after that

Administrator

American Aviation Academy, formerly Anglo-American Aviation until it was raided by ICE, was sold to Sling Academy after covid. I believe it is currently listed for sale.

But FYI very active or so it has appeared to me. At least one little white Sling seems to be flying 12 hrs a day.

The high temp on Monday in Phoenix will be a seasonally appropriate 114 F or 46 C. Winter is the time to be there, otherwise you’d be flying early in the morning and staying in AC until evening.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 25 Aug 18:43
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message