Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Few questions for DA42 owners/flyers

Take pictures of your connectors, MH will know what you need.

I’m quite busy these days – flying Seneca this weekend for twin IR training at FTO and then pretty much stucked at work and car travelling until Thursday. DA42 is hangared 100 km away at Varazdin airport (LDVA) because it’s the closest airport to Zagreb with asphalt runway and hangar. If I grab the opportunity to jump there I’ll do it on Monday, if not then on Friday before Corsica trip.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I missed to provide update on oxygen and MH topic. At the end I purchased two O2D2 controllers with appropriate in-line regulators for lowering pressure of built-in system to level required by O2D2. The part number of kit is O2D2-X-STR-PB750. In addition I purchased transfilling hose with appropriate adapter (TR-95b CGA-DIN and TA-380-S). Everything works like charm.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Rather than start a new thread thought it easier to resurrect this thread.

ECU failure indicators seem to be prompted for different reasons: fuel pressure fluctuations, propeller governor/surging, electric interruption, incorrect shut down. Presumably the circumstances that resulted in the Speyer 2007 double engine failure have not been replicated, and the NG electric back up system is more robust, but there do appear to be engine failures via the ECU continuing.

Is there an authoritative source on troubleshooting the NG engines, other than the obvious one of the AFM?

Direct knowledge and experience from other operators of either spurious or actual ECU failures, and there likely causes would be helpful.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Here is another.

From the normal procedures section. Vmca demonstrations cost a lot of lives, even quite recently (Croatia 2009). Most manufacturers now post a Vsse (single engine safety speed) which has a safety margin above Vmca, and some regulators want ATOs to not go below Vsse in Vmca demonstrations. Instructors with no Darwin Award aspirations tend to comply. However the DA42 AFM suggests reducing speed to red line Vmca or stall warner is OK.

At 5000ft you’ll never get to Vmca before the stall warner in a DA42. If you want to try and demonstrate it you need to be far lower (which clearly isn’t a good idea).

ECU failures – the vast majority I have encountered have been due to sensor errors, often cause by water getting in the system. Prop overspeed is also a common cause.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

Dave presumably you are getting only spurious messages for ECU failures, or have you experienced actual failures where you needed to use the Voter switch to use exclusively other ECU? Hopefully, no actual ECU failures leading to engine shutdown?

Robert, yes. I’ve had an engine failure (i.e. the moving parts gave up) which was initially indicated by an ECU A FAIL message.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

Hello everybody,

I’m looking for the part number of the oxygen cannulas installed in a 2006 DA42 (factory mounted).
The oxysaver one from aerox or MH if available for the DA42.

Romain

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

I would agree that most ECU messages are the result of sensor problems that are usually transitory, these show on the graphs when you download the ECU data but can’t be reproduced.

Propellor over speed is usually a function of the gearbox oil pressure being out of limits, propellor under speed is likely to be because of the impending mechanical failure of the gearbox ( unusual in the latest gearboxes ). It won’t take the rocket scientists on the forum to realise that repeated events of troublesome oil pressure that results in prop over speed may be the gearbox trying to tell you something !

I have seen the download of an engine that lost its prop and half the gearbox in flight, what I found remarkable is that the FADEC system prevented an engine over speed.

A_and_C wrote:

Propellor over speed is usually a function of the gearbox oil pressure

IIRC on diesel-powered DA40 there is a warning about moving the power levers too quickly because it might result in engine overspeed. Another warning says you should maintain a minimum power during descents above a certain altitude/speed in order to prevent prop overspeed. I have not seen anything similar in the DA42 AFMs…

Any thoughts?

LFPT, LFPN
Sign in to add your message