Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Few questions for DA42 owners/flyers

and the Thielerts I fly have a few nasty calendar-based ones (like spending around 6k€ on pipes and hoses every 5 years

Are these in the airworthiness section of the MM?

If not, they would be optional on N-reg.

It’s crazy – teflon hoses have no inherent life limit, and on e.g. a TB20 they have no life limit anyway, even on an EASA-reg.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

… but you can get 155hp for a limited amount of time …

Are you sure about this? Maybe I’ll meet John Crosby begining of September and I’ll talk to him about this. Somehow I don’t believe that with 20HP more you don’t get anything in cruise. Both engines are rated to continuous max power and both have same recomended load percentage.

Only the DA42 VI has major airframe improvements which make it faster.

Yes. And Diamond doesn’t offer these improvements without AE300 upgrade.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Both engines are rated to continuous max power and both have same recomended load percentage.

Yes, you’re right, I was under the impression the 20hp extra were time limited. The specification sheet says it’s not limited.

I guess it won’t be much more because the airframe drag will increase much more than the engine power. It will probably make a difference at altitudes where the smaller engine is no longer able to produce 65% power.

I still believe Diamond would be better off with the Centurion 2.0s than the AE300 on their DA42 VI airframe. The AE300 is very big and very heavy.

Speed-wise you can count on 150-160 KTAS with 5.5-6 gal/h/engine (so total 11-12 US gal/h) which gives you some 6 hours plus reserve

Which, as an aside, are exactly the figures for a C182RG with long-range tanks.

/thread drift

Which, as an aside, are exactly the figures for a C182RG with long-range tanks.

I didn’t dare bringing it up Of course with the Cessna you get a bigger cabin and more useful load, better climb rate and more speed at altitude (if it’s a TR182)…

However, a TKS’ed DA42 with radar is a very powerful personal transport aircraft and being able to use Jet-A1 instead of AVGAS is a huge advantage outside the USA.

Achima/Tomjnx, We fly about 350hrs a year on each of our DA42s which all have Thielert/Centurion 2.0 135hp. As far as reliability goes, I will stick my neck out and say that they are now more reliable than anything with a Lycoming/Continental. On the downside there are relatively few people who can fix them when they go wrong, thus adding a bit to downtime, and we do feel that Diamond are having a bit of a laugh with the price of all spares, including time replaceable items.

Looking ahead, I would not bother with Austro for a training environment (W&B gets a bit more tricky and generally speaking we don’t want to rush around the sky) but would certainly look at the uprated (155hp) 2.0 engines; our runway is only 735m long and the increased performance would certainly help. That said, our overarching limiting factor is usually LDR vs. LDA.

Last Edited by Dave_Phillips at 21 Aug 13:14
Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

I was thinking about opening new thread for this question but it somehow fits here.

I have built-in oxygen system in DA42 and I’m about to order MH O2D2 oxygen kit but I can’t find info on connector needed to connect inline regulator and oxygen port. In addition I’ll buy transfill hose but there’s no data on inlet port type either. Maybe it’s me but I wasn’t able to find this data in maintenance manual or illustrated parts catalog.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Are you changing the built-in system cylinder, or just installing the O2D2 demand regulators to the existing low pressure outlets?

There is a fair chance the existing outlets are already at the right pressure to feed the O2D2 directly. It needs something like 20psi (ask Eric at MH).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Are you changing the built-in system cylinder, or just installing the O2D2 demand regulators to the existing low pressure outlets?

I’m just installing the O2D2 regulators to the existing low pressure outlets. O2D2 requires 20 psi while existing ports provide 50 psi, so inline regulator is needed to lower the pressure.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I use a similar setup with my builtin Cessna 48cu.ft O2 system, also transfiller hose and a big bottle (120l) in my hangar. I had to get a reduction valve and I use one Cessna port for 4 outlets and it works beautifully with cannulas at FL200 and above. Never had the need for a mask. Got the bottle about a hear and a half ago and it’s still got plenty of pressure to fill up the system. Two guys and 25h high altitude flying needs less than half of my builtin tank so the system is just wonderful.

Take pictures of your connectors, MH will know what you need.

Last Edited by achimha at 29 Aug 18:52
Sign in to add your message