Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly-in to Calais March 24th

I'm hoping to come from SouthEast UK but the weather is looking poor. Because of the low temperatures and possible high moisture content, I really need it to be VMC conditions due to lack of de-icing. I'll have to make my decision on Sunday morning, based on the TAF's.

I ended up driving to Baden Baden yesterday due to the forecast wx mentioned above by PA, as the TB20 is not FIKI-capable. So I'll be passing back through Calais late afternoon, but probably in a hurry to get to the tunnel and too late to meet you all anyway. Apologies therefore - hope everyone else enjoys their trip!

EGBJ / Gloucestershire

Unfortunately, if today is anything to go by and we have any more snow, I am unlikely to be able to get out of Oxford as the runway will be closed. I think we shall sadly have to call this off. I will let the restaurant know that some people may still come in (I may well still get there if I can). Apologies to everyone but who would have thought snow would be a problem in late March....?

EGTK Oxford

No need for apologies, Jason, we all know weather is unpredictable. My gratitude for launching the idea, and I am sure a better occasion will show up. Perhaps we could already think of a new date? End of April, or so?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Just looking at the weather forecast for tomorrow. It doesnt' seem too bad for Calais. Sembach does not forecast any turbulence or icing risk for the UK/Belgium/Northern France area for tomorrow. There might be a low cloud base temporarily in the SE of the UK, but for the rest, it doesn't seem too bad at all. OK. At the moment there is still a severe icing/turbulence and even mountain waves ?? SIGMET out for parts of the UK, but I doubt if that will still be on tomorrow morning. I have no idea of any snow on runways in the UK or Calais. From the webcams I could find, I do not see too much snow around.

Anybody still considering flying into Calais? Or is the meeting fully cancelled and nobody planning to come?

EDLE, Netherlands

I'm in doubt to come driving - need to breathe some fresh air anyway.

Still, the weather really doesn't look good - though less bad than it did.

TAF EBBR 231720Z 2318/2424 08014KT 8000 SCT015 BKN040 PROB40 TEMPO 2318/2412 3000 -SN BKN008 =

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Then follow the coastline as the TAF for EBOS: 4500 feet cloud base from 12:00 UTC on and no snow anymore. Same actually for Brussels. The TEMPOs end at 12:00 UTC. After that basically good weather, good visibility and lots of room to fly VFR.

EDLE, Netherlands

I am going to see how things look in the morning.

EGTK Oxford

Try the GRAMET.

Just put in the single airport code, starting time and ending time, and some arbitrary FL.

Low cloud forecast for EBOS, improving later in the day.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter: that is as far as I know a GFS based forecast. That close to a possible flight, you might want to look at the TAFs as well. If I look at EBOS, Le Touquet, Rotterdam and A'dam, the cloudbase is basically going to be 3000 feet or more, but ... can be tempo as low as 800 feet. I am driving to the airport now. I am sure everyone is going to make his own analysis, which is of course more than fine and also depends on if you are FIKI equipped and can fly IFR. Keep posting if you have intentions to come to Calais.

EDLE, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message