Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PA46 Malibu N264DB missing in the English Channel

@alioth, a very insightful post regardling lights and false horizons. Thanks for that.

AAIB report:

It is thought that the pilot’s licence and logbook were lost with the aircraft and so the ratings on his licences and their validity, and the extent of his recent flying have not yet been determined

The ‘records lost in the fire’ trick, as occasionally discussed with beneficiaries in preparation for the worst case, regardless of currency. Good luck to them, it can in fact occur. I think the issue with the FAA ratings would be currency – it seems to me there would be nothing on the plastic pilot certificate that can’t be determined in five minutes on the FAA website.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 25 Feb 18:20

Isn’t all data from initial validation, enablement flight review and currency checks in the US database of pilots? It is my understanding the so often called ‘lost in a fire’ approach doesn’t work for FAA related data. The sole information lost would be the exact flight hours since last currency check.

Last Edited by at 25 Feb 18:22

dejwu wrote:

Isn’t all data from initial validation, enablement flight review and currency checks in the US database of pilots?

Nope, flight review status and currency is pilot only data and the relevant ratings do not expire. Once an FAA instrument rated private pilot, always an instrument rated private pilot. The instructor for the pilot’s flight review (if known by anybody still living) would probably have records of his instruction activity. A biennial Flight Review is not a currency check.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 25 Feb 18:31

Silvaire wrote:

Nope, flight review status and currency is pilot only data and the relevant ratings do not expire. The instructor for the flight review (if known by anybody still living) would probably have records of his instruction activity. A biennial Flight Review is not a currency check.

Since when? So far, mine always got direct into the system right after BFR and required me to log in and input the data, the instructor to log into his account and sign my entry and me log in again to confirm his electronic signature. Or is it only my instructor being super correct? I thought this is normal, as the validation used the same process.

Last Edited by at 25 Feb 18:35

Never heard of such a thing. Maybe someone else can explain.

What you’re describing sounds something like the FAA Medical Certificate procedure, with an AME, if you elect not to use Basic Med.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 25 Feb 19:15

alioth wrote:

Even IFR capable pilots have come to grief during VFR into IMC incidents. When you’re IFR on a flight plan, and all legal, you’re prepared for what comes next, and you’re already ready for going into IMC. You’re not trying to dodge around clouds or dodge airspace, you’ve got a heading, altitude and plan and an instrument scan all ready.

On the occasions I have deliberately flown through isolated clouds on what was planned as a VFR flight (in class G airspace), I always get a very uncomfortable feeling but I feel absolutely nothing like it in the same situation on a planned IFR flight.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

The flight was already way into the illegal territory on the grounds of carrying a paying passenger / doing a dodgy charter.

Where are you reading that snippet?

EGKB Biggin Hill

It is strongly implied, as well as obviously likely.

Who will do a cost shared sightseeing flight from Nantes to Cardiff at night, with a 16M footballer texting people from the plane that he is scared the thing is falling apart?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Timothy wrote:

Peter wrote:

The flight was already way into the illegal territory on the grounds of carrying a paying passenger / doing a dodgy charter.
Where are you reading that snippet?

Timothy, while I understand your question, given the FAA rules, this was clearly an illegal flight. There was no common purpose, and I do not believe there is any chance that there will be shown to have been pro rata cost sharing.

EGTK Oxford

at least the question of ditching is now off the table, as the ROV photos clearly show. They must have been dead immediately.

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany
Sign in to add your message