Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Loss of electrical power while flying a GPS approach at night

Peter wrote:

In the UK you will not find such numbers…

LONDON CONTROL SWA (SENIOR WATCH ASSISTANT) +44 23 8040 1110
London Centre Distress and Diversion +44 1489 612406

EGKB Biggin Hill

Thanks Joe, good option when everything else is blank.

United Kingdom

Thanks, also to Timothy

United Kingdom

Great job by ATC !!

FWIW, my cell phone is on every flightplan I file. I also rigged three of these little headlamps to the back of my iPad cradle (stuck there with max power velcro) which can light up the panel like a Xmas tree if needed. One also swivels down to serve as chart light. Also have an external, battery powered GPS that can feed ForeFlight on the iPad. And a backup iPad. And a handheld radio – even if you can’t necessarily communicate well with this thing (tx power is pretty weak), you definitely can turn on the runway lights. Just seriously hope I never have to use these gadgets….

I have a Yaesu but I can’t imagine being able to hear anything over the engine noise. Does anyone have experience of using one in battle? There’s an adapter to plug it into the the headset but I can’t imagine rooting around in my flight bag to try to rig that up while in a distressing predicament.

EIMH, Ireland

I always carry handheld radio so I guess I would remain in contact with ATC. In addition I have Foreflight on iPad and iPhone.

Peter wrote:

Presumably about 100 for Foreflight and about 1000 for a single device Jepp subscription (for “political Europe”)?

Foreflight has georeferenced AIP plates for almost all Europe (the rest will be added soon), so this will save the day for the cost of Foreflight subscription only.

Last Edited by Emir at 15 Mar 16:54
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Interesting stuff; thanks.

I had both of Timothy’s numbers in my phone already, although I am not sure whether they will get you any “ATC” assistance. I thought the LC one was just some desk, to do with flight plans etc. I called it last year to help with a flight plan which would not file because another was already in the system (an Autorouter related issue perhaps). The D&D one similar; not a real ATC desk.

I have a Yaesu but I can’t imagine being able to hear anything over the engine noise.

You do need the headset adapter available. I have one within reach, for the Yaesu 750. I’ve had this since halfway through my PPL training, due to the condition of the wreckage I was renting. Sure, it would be difficult to get it all connected up, while hand flying in IMC…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

zuutroy wrote:

There’s an adapter to plug it into the the headset but I can’t imagine rooting around in my flight bag to try to rig that up while in a distressing predicament.

The trick is to rig the adapter prior to departure. I usually get the ATIS over the handheld (ICom in my case) and then plug the adapter in. That way all I need to do is to re-plug the headset. Bad enough in IMC, but better than fiddling with the adapter and the headset. Forget talking on the handheld w/o the headset, the cockpit simply is way too noisy, at least in a non-pressurized SEP.

Peter wrote:

What I find notable about this video is that the pilot almost gave up. I wonder if this is a common thing?

He had all the time in the world to think about his situation. I guess a whole bunch of thoughts come creeping when that happens. This doesn’t mean he almost gave up, he just didn’t see any viable way out of the mess for a while. Then he started focusing on the only thing he could do – fly the plane, even though that didn’t in itself solve anything. It’s a bit strange he didn’t try to land before he got that SMS from the ATC though.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Peter wrote:

You do need the headset adapter available. I have one within reach, for the Yaesu 750. I’ve had this since halfway through my PPL training, due to the condition of the wreckage I was renting. Sure, it would be difficult to get it all connected up, while hand flying in IMC…

My flight bag is a backpack (MGF) with a radio pouch on the side. The handheld lives in the pouch except when out for charging at home. The adapter is underneath the radio in the pouch. The backpack is always placed behind my seat with the pouch side between the seats. I’ve verified that I can reach it and the adapter easily with my right hand in flight, although I agree it would be a bit stressful hand flying in bumpy IMC. I also have an external antenna with coax jack under the panel next to the headset jacks, and a coax extension cable in the lower left wall pouch (C172) to connect the handheld to the ext antenna. An external antenna improves the handheld range dramatically. It would take a couple minutes to get it all connected up in an emergency, but all is well within reach. The evtl need for runway light activation was a good takeaway from the video. One needs VHF for that.

Mobile # is on all FPL. Anyone with an ADL could also use it for texting from an tablet/phone, using satellite which should always have reception…… sort of belt and suspenders and … solution, I suppose.

The AOPA safety videos are very very good. Reviewing one is always a good time investment.

Last Edited by chflyer at 15 Mar 18:30
LSZK, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message