Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Loss of electrical power while flying a GPS approach at night

Isn’t your ADL aircraft powered?

This is why I have gone to a lot of trouble to install a B&C backup alternator, but for most of the GA fleet this is not an option.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

the details in the bottom part of the flight plan are not distributed to ATC and can be accessed only by SAR

Why loose time? Just put all the supplementary info in the remarks.

LGMT (Mytilene, Lesvos, Greece), Greece

Peter wrote:

I had both of Timothy’s numbers in my phone already, although I am not sure whether they will get you any “ATC” assistance.

Even if they don’t, do you really think they would not, in an emergency, connect you to someone who would or at worst give you another phone number?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

It is a very good Q whether ATC have the capability to patch an incoming landline call to an ATC desk with radar. I have no idea, but it would really surprise me if they had that.

I do know that NATS publishes some Iridium phone numbers for (presumably airliner) emergencies. I don’t know why they are iridium numbers because you can use an Iridium satphone to call a landline number. These I would expect can be patched to some real ATC capability. But almost nobody in GA has the capability to make a satphone call while flying (I know of one MD500 heli which had that installed for a famous RTW trip) let alone with a loss of electrical power.

In the US video the ATCO used what looked like his personal phone to send SMS.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Prompted by this thread, I’ve spent some time today looking a Foreflight Pro geo-referenced GPS approach plates and synthetic vision with Stratus AHRS, as per my earlier post. Traffic would also be an asset in the absence of ATC communication. My iPad/iPhone/portables have all that stuff but its a new setup in my plane, within the last couple of months. I think it would be interesting to try it just for the experience… under the hood with safety pilot in VMC…

In the US you could do GPS approaches in the above manner all day at an uncontrolled field, assuming traffic was not too much. Anybody had opportunity to do that with Foreflight etc, in preparation for ‘someday’?

Last Edited by Silvaire at 15 Mar 20:09

Peter wrote:

But almost nobody in GA has the capability to make a satphone call while flying (I know of one MD500 heli which had that installed for a famous RTW trip) let alone with a loss of electrical power.

I think you can call through any bluetooth-enabled audio panel (GMA345?), if it was paired with your satphone… Or am I missing something?
That is of course if you have power!

EGTR

I’m afraid I thought that Doctor was rather defeatist.

ATC would be better publishing either an Emergency text number, email address- or a WhatsApp number, as in my experience, these seem to work whilst airborne (much more frequently than a voice call).

I’ve had two relatable “events”, where “non standard” portable devices got me out of trouble.

Before the days of GPS, a DECCA navigator got me from just east of Manchester to Glasgow in solid IMC (following an Alternator failure).

An iPad with SkyDemon helped me fly the RNAV to Reykjavik’’s runway 31 in a 400ft cloud base and 40kt winds. (After both GNS650’s decided they had lost all the approach data, and the ILS on 19 was U/S).
Using my backup paper plates as reference, I created all the approach waypoints as SkyDemon “user waypoints”, and then used SkyDemon to provide lateral guidance and distance to go to each step down waypoint. I’ve still got the “fairly interesting” SD track log.

Lefty
EGLM

Not an IFR pilot, but I have got the headset adapter and handheld out of my flight bag and used them. Not difficult when handflying.
I carry an earphone to plug into my phone if needed. Otherwise I hear nothing.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

You will need an AI backup to fly, a tablet/phone GPS/SD backup to navigate and probably a handheld radio to communicate ?
But as he summarise it at the end you will need probably 3 of each, 3 AIs if you plan on hardcore IFR

Last Edited by Ibra at 15 Mar 21:37
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I remember my instructor talking about defeatism, and this video chimed with me. Never give up of course, but here, I think the pilot honestly thought that was it. We are humans, and there was some really interesting human performance observations from this video. I don’t know if I’m being harsh on our ATC over here, but I do wonder if they’d have gone to such lengths. I’d like to think that they would, and the ATCOs I know, certainly have enough piloting experience to make me think that they would. I carry a spare radio, and D&D are in my contacts. It’s a dark place though, being in the dark, with no electricity, and minimum fuel, and in IMC. I’m not at all surprised the pilot was somewhat despondent to begin with. I too found it quite emotional, watching the effect this incident had on all of those involved.

United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message