Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

License / rating expiry

Thanks. Hassle not worth it, I think.

Hi,

I have a question regarding ATPL exam validity.

I have a friend who obtained his EASA CPL/IR in 2014. He has been flying in various GA capacities in Australia that has meant he hasn’t had to renew his IR. Am I correct in thinking that he needs to renew his IR before 7 years elapses from the date of his rating expired in order to avoid having to do the exams again? If he does renew his IR he has effective ‘bought’ himself another 7 years (or enough time to get an ATPL)?

Thanks
C

London Area

Callum wrote:

Am I correct

Yes, you are. FCL.025 (c) (2)

Friedrichshafen EDNY

Class and type ratings = 1 year (SEP, TMG = 2 years) (FCL.740)

SET class with a validity of 2 years, FCL.740(a)

G3x
LKKU, Czech Republic

There is also a lot of very relevant stuff on EASA IR expiration if another ICAO IR is held. One example is here.

With an expired IR, what you must avoid doing is sending your license to the CAA because they will strip off any expired ratings and then you have to go the ATO / retraining route. There is no requirement to send your license to the CAA, but it can happen if say you apply for the NPPL.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter, point (e) in FCL.625 has superseded the Decision mentioned in the linked posting.

The assessment and, if any, refresher training at an ATO or, shortly, an EBT operator is otherwise required in order to renew an expired IR. It is irrelevant whether the rating appears on the face of the licence.

There is no requirement to send your license to the CAA…

Some competent authorities, eg FOCA in Switzerland, do not allow non-Swiss examiners to renew ratings in Swiss licences. From a quick glance at my notes on the EASA EDD the same is true for Portuguese, Polish, Spanish, and I think also Irish licences.

Last Edited by Qalupalik at 26 Nov 11:04
London, United Kingdom

Peter, point (e) in FCL.625 has superseded the Decision mentioned in the linked posting.

In plain text? The 7 years are not relevant anymore? Renewal always possible at ATO (which shall establish requirements for training?)

always learning
LO__, Austria

(e) Holders of a valid IR on a pilot licence issued by a third country in accordance with Annex 1 to the Chicago Convention shall be exempted from complying with the requirements in points (c)(1) and (d) when renewing the IR privileges contained in licences issued in accordance with this Annex.

(c) Renewal If an IR has expired, in order to renew their privileges, applicants shall comply with all of the following:
(1) complete a refresher training at an ATO, if deemed necessary by the ATO to reach the level of proficiency needed to pass the instrument element of the skill test in accordance with Appendix 9 to this Annex;
(2) pass a proficiency check in accordance with Appendix 9 to this Annex in the relevant aircraft category;
(3) hold the relevant class or type rating unless otherwise specified in this Annex.
(d) If the IR has not been revalidated or renewed in the preceding 7 years, applicants for the IR shall pass again the IR theoretical knowledge examination and skill test.

Ref: “FCL.625 IR – Validity, revalidation and renewal” in EASA Part-FCL Easy Access Rules

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Snoopy wrote:

In plain text?

The holder of a valid ICAO IR, SEP, MEP, etc, is exempt from ATO assessment & refresher training prior to attempting a proficiency check to the renew the equivalent Part-FCL rating. Further, the 7 year rule on repeating the IR theory exams & IR skill test can be based on an ICAO IR.

In accordance with article 14(7) of Regulation (EC) No 216/2008 member states were entitled, but not required, to apply the derogations approved in 2014/69/EU: Commission Decision of 6 February 2014, eg annex V point 5 (emphasis added):

5. GENERAL APPLICABILITY OF THE DEROGATION

All Member States may apply this derogation provided that the conditions described in point 4 are met.

Some MSes, eg the Republic of Ireland, chose not to apply those derogations. These and similar derogations approved in 2014/425/EU: Commission Decision of 1 July 2014 were included as rules in Part-FCL by Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 2019/1747 of 15 October 2019. This means application is no longer at the discretion of MSes but must be afforded to all licence holders. See text by tmo above: “holders … shall be exempted…”

London, United Kingdom
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message