Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Restricted areas in Holland & Germany

R4 tends not to be very active these days – the defence budget does not include many flying hours.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

skydriller wrote:

I cant find “Cornfield” on SkyDemon, but Im guessing “the causeway” is the A7?

Cornfield I recall is 122.1 but please check with Texel. It’s useful for getting across the R4 with a local time window. My info may be way out of date since iv’e not needed it recently choosing times when R4 is not active. BTW I’ve found Dutch Mil to be much more helpful in the last couple of years. Didn’t know about Bremen becoming Langen – thanks.

The causeway is indeed the A7. an interesting ride at 1000’ in poor vis.You can track to it from Texel, across the Wadden Sea and then back to the coast near Ameland. Ameland will have the status of R4 if Dutch Mil are not playing.. Amsterdam will have activity status for R4 long before you get there. If in doubt, land at Texel.

The Frisian Islands are indeed beautiful and you won’t be disappointed – a string of desert islands in the N Sea! I’ve stayed overnight at Wangerooge where you can walk to the hotel and the front. Might need a reservation this time of year. Main downside is risk of fog next day, hopefully not in August! Also a fascinating narrow gauge, but ‘real’ train to the the ferry terminal.

If routing N up the German coast St Peter Ording EDXO is a lovely welcoming stop with fuel from where you can route to Aalborg for Oslo or Aarhus if heading to Gothenburg ~ 50mi sea crossings to Sweden.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

@Steve6443 Yes I changed base to Hildesheim as the outfit I rented from at Hannover sadly sold all of their SEPs. Now back at a smaller airfield with decent operating hours, everything has become easier for me (and cheaper!). Didn’t try the restaurant here yet…

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

See you’ve moved from Hannover to Hildesheim, @MedEwok. I must admit I do enjoy flying there because the restaurant, although not fancy, does provide good food at reasonable prices…..

EDL*, Germany

I will just have to see what happens wrt EHR4 as I planned to stop at Borkum or Emden – I cant find “Cornfield” on SkyDemon, but Im guessing “the causeway” is the A7?

Btw. the best place for a “stop” in the area is Leer-Papenburg EDWF, just south of Emden EDWE. It has famously good service and cheap fuel (Avgas, Mogas and Jet A1). The landing fee is waived if you refuel and the restaurant is decent.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

This is normal; the circle is the only reliably machine readable part of the notam deometrical description. The lists of lat/long coordinates which describe the inner polygon are often strangely formatted and cannot be software-plotted correctly in many cases. This is a huge problem with notams but there seems to be little will to address it; the notam generator would need to do it correctly / in some standard format, perhaps with delimiters, and most probably don’t want to be bothered. For high profile UK notams (e.g. restricted areas), SD most likely checks/processes these manually because they don’t want trouble back home

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

And I like to inform you about a temporary TMZ around Wittmund military airport in the northern part of Germany. SD shows you only a circle which is wrong!

EDWF, Germany

I guess you mean Langeland TRA. That one you fly through if in radio contact with the ATS, so don‘t worry about it.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I am planning to fly mid-week, so you guys are pretty much saying go around EDR10 & 11? I had routed direct from the Islands (Kiel), but I suppose a detour south would also have me clear of th Langfeld TRA I see had appeared!!
EDD19 & 28 are showing as danger areas connected to the North East of the restricted areas EDR10 & 11.
I will just have to see what happens wrt EHR4 as I planned to stop at Borkum or Emden – I cant find “Cornfield” on SkyDemon, but Im guessing “the causeway” is the A7?

Thanks Chaps, SD..

skydriller wrote:

Any suggestions appreciated, if only to make it easier for a “plan B”

Should not be an issue, worst case circling the whole of Holland instead of a direct is only extra 15min

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message