Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin / Avidyne / Jeppesen +V Advisory Glidepath / Glideslope, does it ever breach stepdown fixes, and does it exist for non-GPS IAP airports?

NCYankee wrote:

With the current version of software on the GTN xi series, +V is available on many VOR and NDB approaches that are straight in. It is not available on the GTN (not xi) series except for GPS based approaches. Search the following document for “VOR+V”

What about G1000 NXi?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Peter wrote:

According to many threads here, Avidyne IFD boxes also offer +V. What I don’t know is whether they offer it if SBAS is not available, but that isn’t so important because SBAS is practically always available in Europe

I think @eal has that in his JetProp in Thailand, however, it was IFD used for RNP (L/VNAV with BARO), the IFD while being outside SBAS coverage is able to show LNAV+V (probably thanks to spillover from Indian Gagan SBAS)

I was asking if IFD was used for VOR/NDB/LOC NPA with GPS overlays, will it show LOC+V or VOR+V?

PS: I think there is a plan to release IFD with “Visual/DIY”, some competition to top end Garmin (GTN, NXI, Perspective) will be healthy

Last Edited by Ibra at 01 Feb 18:14
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

According to many threads here, Avidyne IFD boxes also offer +V. What I don’t know is whether they offer it if SBAS is not available, but that isn’t so important because SBAS is practically always available in Europe. Somebody can also check on an IFD sim what LGST shows

You have to install in on an Apple device – I cannot find the PC version anymore…

EGTR

Airborne_Again wrote:

Do you have an example of such an approach that I could try?

Sure. Come on down and we can fly it!

Last Edited by Snoopy at 01 Feb 21:38
always learning
LO__, Austria

Come on down and we can fly it!

Maybe to check it in simulator first

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

It’s not a problem in the typical sep mep planes ;)

In the years before RNP you’d see the occasional unsuspecting (first timers usually) airliner do S-turns over the city once visual with the RWY :)

Last Edited by Snoopy at 02 Feb 07:27
always learning
LO__, Austria

At 4.9 DME there seems to be is an obstacle marked up as being 1372 ft high which you should cross at minimum 2100ft, I take it that is with a local QNH. So I take it you would have 728’ of obstacle clearance if in standard atmosphere.
In the profile 4.9nm DME gives an OCA 2100ft altitude and a OCH of 983ft on the QFE. Which does the +V glide path relate to.?

France

+V is just there to help you, it’s useless near FAF but useful near MAPT after the last MDA step: if you can catch it from above without blowing up your CDFA ROD to stabilize early, go for it otherwise disregard and don’t destabilize to catch it…even when +V matches x% CDFA, you will see differences between ROD/GS and +V that indicates changes of wind near the surface and compounding errors, personally, I like to end up on stable ROD and dots slightly above it to sneak a better look of the runway near MDA/DDA, it’s disappointing to go missed when out of clouds with ground in-sight

If you ever end up under +V: it’s a very bad flying technique (DnD) or serious lack of situational awareness !

Last Edited by Ibra at 02 Feb 09:32
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Snoopy wrote:

Sure. Come on down and we can fly it!

Interesting. This is 1% steeper than the normal maximum gradient according to PANS-OPS. When that happens PANS-OPS states that minima should be no lower than circling minima which is also the case for CAT A and B, but not CAT C or D. I’m surprised that Austrian authorities don’t require a special authorisation to fly this approach.

Anyway, back to topic. You do get +V for this approach as well on a Garmin GTN650Xi.

Added note: my surprise above should not be taken to mean that I feel that the approach should require special authorisation. At least not for CAT A.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 02 Feb 10:31
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

it’s useless near FAF

Can’t you fly the enroute sector and then continue to a +V descent, like a normal GPS approach?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message