Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin / Avidyne / Jeppesen +V Advisory Glidepath / Glideslope, does it ever breach stepdown fixes, and does it exist for non-GPS IAP airports?

arj1 wrote:

@NCYankee, where this data is published? I mean EGKA RW 20 has got 4.5 degrees, and published both in the AIP and in the RNP 20 plates. Why the GTN Xi sim is using 3 degrees on the visual approach to RW20?

The version of the Garmin GTN650Xi trainer that I have provides no vertical guidance on a visual approach to EGKA RWY 20 – only horizontal guidance. There is a course fix located 3 NM from the runway with a stated minimum altitude of 1020 ft. That does translate to a 3 degree slope if you start your descent exactly at that point, but nothing says you should.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The GTN Xi series added +V for VOR and NDB straight in approaches

Thank you for this info NCyankee.

Let’s see if anyone from Avidyne turns up

The version of the Garmin GTN650Xi trainer that I have provides no vertical guidance on a visual approach to EGKA RWY 20

There should be +V.

Doing a “visual approach” slope at 3 deg when it should be 4.5 is of course possible but you just lose, ahem, a piece of the runway But who would be using that feature when you have +V.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

There should be +V.

There isn’t. That may be because of the 4.5° PAPI angle for RWY 20.

(Of course there is +V on the LNAV, but not on the visual and that’s what arj1 talked about.)

I don’t understand. Either EGKA 20 has +V or it doesn’t.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Either EGKA 20 has +V or it doesn’t.

In the GTN650Xi there are two approaches to EGKA RWY 20. The RNP (LNAV) approach and the visual approach. The LNAV approach has +V. The visual approach doesn’t.

OK, so it has +V.

The “visual approach” would not have +V; it isn’t +V

It is some Garmin-generated line from the FAF to the runway, probably this highly relevant thread refers, and probably like this

So what does the “visual approach” on EGKA 20 do? It is there but you get no H or V guidance from it?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

The “visual approach” would not have +V; it isn’t +V

I don’t know what you mean by “it isn’t +V”. “+V” is something that Garmin has added as an extra function – it is not provided in the approach procedures.

It most cases visual approaches in the GTN650Xi do have +V, e.g. the visual approaches to EGHE has +V. (Read post #05 again.)

Visual approaches have +V even if there are no IAPs to the runway as long as enough data for the runway is published, e.g. EGHO.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 25 Jan 09:49

OK, playing with terminology

Administrator

Airborne_Again wrote:

Visual approaches have +V even if there are no IAPs to the runway as long as enough data for the runway is published, e.g. EGHO.

Does it really do 4 degrees as per PAPIs? Or will it do only 3 degrees slopes for EGHO?

EGTR

Peter wrote:

OK, playing with terminology

+V means what Garmin says it means…

Sign in to add your message