Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Another Alpine crash - near LOWZ, SR22 D-EPRB

lenthamen wrote:

So the flight was VFR at the time of the crash. But definitely not in VMC. According to this news article there is an interview with the airport operator. He warned the pilot via the radio about strong fog and sleet. The pilot had not been visual with the runway.

The article sais there was no visual contact on the side of the operator. We do not know with certainty that they did not ever see the runway, but either lost it or were too fast or “saw” it on the PFD/SV and continued the approach like that… in any case, he then did go around and the crash site is approximately on the runway axis.

Snoopy wrote:

The easiest safety measure is to hire a pro safety pilot for such flights.

If you need a safety pilot you are not fit for the flight. GA is not inherently unsafe but it is prone to people who think the rules are for others. That is deadly in such cases.

Snoopy wrote:

Think about the consequences of this. The liability involved for the airport.

Think of what the operator must feel now, who told them the situation was very bad and could do nothing to prevent them trying and killing themselves. If he had had the authorisation to say “It’s too dangerous, airport is QGO, divert to your alternate” we would not be having this discussion now.

BTW, quite a lot of ATC do this. Only he was not ATC, so he could not tell them what to do. But if someone tries to get clearance into a CTR and visibility is below minimum, he will be told to go away. nobody is questioning that.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

And yet ATC cannot refuse an IFR approach based on wx conditions.

EBST, Belgium

If you need a safety pilot you are not fit for the flight. GA is not inherently unsafe but it is prone to people who think the rules are for others. That is deadly in such cases.

I knew this would come. Could not disagree more!

This exactly the kind of negative „ego“ pressure that causes these stupid accidents. „Have you heard of X, he flies with a safety pilot. I’m much better than him, I don’t need that!“ How stupid!

Why do you think commercial ops use two pilots, even though the equipment is much more capable and operations are mostly much easier (SID STAR ILS)? It’s cause flying planes tends to sometimes catch you quickly, and it’s difficult to self regulate.

Plenty of very experienced and „fit“ pilots use copilots/safety pilots or whatever term you please.

I’d say they are not only „fit“, they’re smart too!

always learning
LO__, Austria

Think of what the operator must feel now, who told them the situation was very bad and could do nothing to prevent them trying and killing themselves.

As you say, he could do nothing, so it’s neither his responsibility nor his problem.

I don’t understand your arguments at all.

A pilot employing the safety net of a second pilot is „not fit“ in your eyes, but the airport should decide who can land when. It doesn’t make sense, sorry!

Last Edited by Snoopy at 23 Dec 13:29
always learning
LO__, Austria

In low visibility, having one pilot watch for the runway or visual clues while the other flies on instruments is a “safety plus”, especially if you end up VFR in IMC bellow minima, but one will rarely find another brave pilot to go on that mission, so at the end, the presence of a second pilot simply ensures that minima are not busted and helps for cross-checking some trivial but deadly errors, but surely it is better framework than one pilot

Having ATC/ATS prescribing that conditions are not suitable may produce opposite effects, better leave it 100% inside cockpit, I can easily push a pilot to fly beyond his limits by telling him he can’t do it

Last Edited by Ibra at 23 Dec 13:43
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

QuoteYou pre set hdg/alt/ias mode so if anything comes up between minima and landing (airport vanishes in sudden sinkhole due to earthquake) you turn right to be in that valley, max climb and gtfo up to MSA.

Indeed that was my point ….a very unreliable scenario when in IMC suddenly after the MAP, mountains close by….Going beyond MAP in these weather conditions is in my opinion playing Russian roulette.. It’s a human factors thing..

Last Edited by Vref at 23 Dec 15:19
EBST

mancival wrote:

D-EPRB was fiki certified, IF tks was switched on by the pilot.

How can such a recent SR22 GTS have such a low serial number? Do they reset?

Last Edited by TimR at 23 Dec 15:14
EGSX

172driver wrote:

If he had had SV (even on a tablet) that might have saved him, toy or not. In FF (at lest in the US version, don’t know the EU version), this would have worked well.

Couldn’t agree less! Even thinking about tablet toys would take attention away from things that matter in these situations. And yes, there are examples of people who killed themselves because they thought that they can fly IMC in mountains with these toy SVs. Perhaps you are one of the very few, but all people I know personally could not even answer me some basic questions which are absolutely essential to consider these in such situations, like: What is the accuracy of the SV in foreflight? What is the lag between reality and screen? If I’m in a 120kt plane – how much distance on the toy screen do I need to keep from cumulus granitus, to be sure I don’t hit it in reality?

This “anything might help” is a tempting thought in theory. However, having the Tablett-Toy up and running in a state that theoretically would create some utility in this situation would have required awareness of the possibility and challenges of a late balked landing – and if the pilot in this accident had been aware of this possibility, he could have done much better things to prepare that setting up his toy.

We don’t know yet (perhaps the children can tell at some point in time) – but it is at least possible that it was exactly the false perceived safety from some kind of Synthetic vision (and the “chuteitis” common amongst Cirrus pilots) that made the pilot try the traffic pattern for a second approach rather than flying towards the published missed approach – to find out that trying to fly along a SV screen is the worst possible idea in such a situation.

Germany

Why are people referring to tools like SkyDemon, Garmin Pilots etc. as “toys”? They are very far from being toys.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Because their SV functionality (and some others) are nothing but toy.

You are absolutely right, that they are more than toys when it comes to EFB functionality. But in situations discussed here you do not need your flight bag – doesn’t matter if physical or electronic…

Germany
Sign in to add your message