Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SR22 G-CTAM ditches near a beach in the UK

Any time you can walk away from a scary event it’s a good thing, regardless of how it was done, and especially if you’d already paid ahead for the option used. This owners risk management strategy apparent paid off!

Personally, I could get wound up about a parachute for a plane which which you’d have an unlikely chance of making a successful forced landing, a Pitts S-1 or something similar that glides like a brick, fast, and from which you can’t see well. Some of the little hot rod Lancairs also come to mind. Interesting planes with which there is a hesitancy in my mind, based on safety in the event of an engine failure. I’d want the plane and the chute to be uncertified to simplify ownership.

My view of flying is probably very different from any Cirrus owner – to me they are utility planes and if I had a job that required that kind of plane my tendency (whether right or wrong) would be to buy the least expensive thing that would reasonably do the job.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 03 Jun 02:53

Belgrade LYBE, Serbia

Off_Field wrote:

With that logic aircraft tyres have saved millions of lives and continue to do so with most landings

LOL..!!

I understand that over 90% of ditchings are perfectly survivable. Still, pulling the chute is a nice option to have.

EHTE, Netherlands

With that logic aircraft tyres have saved millions of lives and continue to do so with most landings

jxk wrote:

I understand from a SR22 owner that there have been 96 parachute deployments with 196 lives saved as of 17th May – probably +1 and +2 now.

If you make the assumption that every person in all the aeroplanes that deployed their chutes would have died without the chute.

EGLM & EGTN

I understand from a SR22 owner that there have been 96 parachute deployments with 196 lives saved as of 17th May – probably +1 and +2 now.

jxk
EGHI, United Kingdom

“We had binoculars and once it hit the water we saw the pilot open the cockpit door and climb out so we knew they were ok.”
Looks like it flipped after they got out.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I suspect wind flipping it over in the sea.

EGTK Oxford

Low deployment? takes about 400ft agl for it to work at slow speed and put it on it’s wheels but need +1000ft agl for spin & dive to bring it on wheels? also depends on winds & waves…

At some point I was thinking was it SuyuzTMA or Dragon SpaceX?

Glad the pilots walked away !

Last Edited by Ibra at 31 May 21:16
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message