Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How to get Shell aviation avgas card? (and why do fuel cards exist)

EKRN has had Avgas since forever.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Peter wrote:

I’ve never heard of a Shell card (in GA).

Might be because Shell has relatively few fuelling locations in the UK. My club has Shell cards.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I’ve never come across it anywhere in Europe, in 3000hrs of flying, either

Just spoken to a bizjet pilot who really goes all over the place and he has not come across it either, although he believes the card exists in the US. So maybe just 1 or 2 countries in Europe…

Why, remains a good Q. One can see the reason for the TOTAL card – a very specific business philosophy focused on the GA scene in France – but I see no good reason for these cards generally, and normal CCs should be accepted. It can’t be worth more than about 1.5% minus what it costs the oil company to run their own processing, which is probably not insignificant, due to relatively low volumes.

I need this card as Shell is finally going to open avgas station at EKRN but ONLY option to pay will be shell card. No cash, no credit

EKRN has had Avgas since forever.

How does that work? I mean, how will Shell get business in this case?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Shell is common in the Nordics. I learned this planning my trip to Norway earlier this year, and it’s why I tried to apply for one. At Stavanger it’s Shell only, or you get help from someone at the flyklubb who charges a fee to buy it for you. This process took the better part of an hour, so it would have been much nicer to have the card.

EHRD, Netherlands

Well, there is this website.

If you then go to “Shell Fuel & Fly, For General Aviation Customers”, it says

and if you still click on “Apply”, it says

There is another apply option, but so far, I haven’t completed it.

boscomantico writes:

but then the UK does not have any self service/payment fuel pumps.

Isn’t Oban [EGEO] Self-service?
Admittedly, there is always a friendly helpful fireman around; but I have always felt that he is there to help ‘first timers’ and more because he wanted a chat.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Peter_G wrote:

Isn’t Oban [EGEO] Self-service?

It was when I was there not too long ago

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Yes, I believe Oban is fully self-serve/pay now. But in the case of Oban, it is of little value for visitors, since it is tightly regulated anyway (with precise opening/attendance hours, etc.).

The big advantage of full self-serve/pay is at those airfields which are either part-time or full-time unattended by any staff, where this allows you to refuel your aircraft late in the evening/in the lunch-break or early in the morning and make more of your day.

boscomantico wrote:

There is another apply option, but so far, I haven’t completed it.

There is a statement at the bottom of that page indicating that credit cards are also accepted:

LSZK, Switzerland

Przemek wrote:

I need this card as Shell is finally going to open avgas station at EKRN but ONLY option to pay will be shell card. No cash, no credit

Do you have more info about that? ForeFlight indicates that the fuel supplier there is Shell with self-serve for Avgas 100LL, but the AIP makes no mention of that and rather states fuel payment via cash or AirBP card.

LSZK, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message