Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Modified KONAN RAD routing restriction

Please note that the KONAN RAD routing restriction will be modified starting with the next AIRAC cycle which generally positive affects SEP flyers from/to the UK over the channel by opening up more routing options via KONAN:

It is a change that NATS had started working on about a year ago and now finally implemented.

Last Edited by wbardorf at 24 Apr 16:50
EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

@wbardorf, sorry, could paste the parts of it here? The screenshoot as-is appears to be unreadable – I think some software in the process of taking picture/uploading/optimising over-optimised it a bit…
Thanks!

EGTR

I split the image into two – hopefully the images are more legible now?

wbardorf wrote:

I split the image into two – hopefully the images are more legible now?

Perfect! Thanks.

EGTR

Can anyone post a graphical example?

I tend to find that London Control allows “most things” and it is the Eurocontrol route filing which is the main problem. KONAN is the border with Belgium and their ATC is pretty relaxed.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, London Control don’t really have an issue and are fairly relaxed about traffic around KONAN at lower levels and it is about filing restrictions.

An example of a route that is not possible right now, would be someone flying from Belgian airspace to Newquay or Cardiff via KONAN. The existing RAD restriction would force a routing via GILTI or RAPIX and then LAM which means that one needs to fly over much more open sea. I got that changed in 2020 for various SE England airfields as I reported that as a safety issue, and the change in the next AIRAC cycle now applies this to all SEP traffic below FL105.

Yes; that is same as this. It is mostly Class G, you have Solent Class D (often managed in an unfriendly way, plus the overlaying Class A which LC often won’t let you into even if there is nobody there) and to fly it controlled-IFR you need to be in CAS which is FL200+. That is how the commuter twin TPs fly it, according to one Heathrow ATCO – at FL200.

You can file any route you want by using the methods here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message