Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

More quirks of French IFR - NIMBY waypoints

Below is example of LDSP RNAV Visual approach to runway 23 which correctly handles similar situation.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Peter wrote:

Not true

I expressed myself poorly. What I meant was that you had no greater reason to look outside for traffic avoidance – which was what Mooney_Driver was referring to. Obviously you have to look outside to navigate as it is a visual procedure.

see your own post here.

Impressive that you remember that!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

Impressive that you remember that!

Policing constantly

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

No; I did, guess what, a google, and the EuroGA thread was the 1st hit. Just as it should be – the best quality GA resource on the www

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Just as it should be – the best quality GA resource on the www

Absolutely!

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

My copilot was following our progress for the exact VFR circuit zoomed-in on Skydemon to great detail. We were not quite there for the base turn, but very ready for it. Suddenly the controller came on the radio excitedly proclaiming we were making a total mess and to turn immediately! So I did.
Totally unnecessary, as upto that point he had asked me to be in two other locations and asked for estimates, which I had duly given, and arrived at more accurately than I would ever promise to.
So it’s not like I’d damaged his confidence upto that point.
With all the fuss over handling, not handling, only available with handling, can’t park there, can park somewhere, but not there!!! Plus now leave your aircraft immediately to come with me , oh you’re blocking the fuel…..well you dragged me away from my aircraft. Well move it, but I can’t let you out without ID…….
Seriously there’s a lot more to the story……..I’m possibly not in a hurry to go back.

United Kingdom

@GA_pete was this at LFMD? The problem with the VFR pattern is that it comes in two flavours, short and long. In between is the biggest nimby-zone of then all. So if for any reason you can’t make the first one (other traffic etc) then you have to go to the second one, which is about 1.5 miles further.

That said, I’ve been told to turn base when it would have taken me straight into the nimby zone. I did a quick 45 degree bank to turn back almost the way I’d come before turning back right onto base, and missed the nimby zone by the sin of my teeth. If my (un)favourite Landes instructor had been there, he would have had a heart attack (which would have been no great loss to aviation).

I don’t know about what happened on the ground. Assuming you can find somewhere to park, it should be just a question of leaving via the security gate. They will direct you to the immigration police in the main terminal if necessary (international arrival). Sounds like someone was having a bad day.

Last Edited by johnh at 16 Aug 19:14
LFMD, France

High John yes LFMD. One day I’ll tell you the whole story over a beer, and you’ll be quite surprised. Lol.

United Kingdom

Yesterday I discovered the web site of the nimbies: https://www.adna06.fr/pmaps.php . They have a daily updated map of all the complaints that have been registered., At 16h30 local today they were already up to 107, including 21 from a single person pretty much directly under PIBON.

I’m just glad it’s not my job to handle them.

LFMD, France

I’m just glad it’s not my job to handle them.

It would probably be worthy of a thread of its own to discuss what can actually be done to engage and manage the local NIMBY population at an airport.

I used to live just south of Woking. On any given day we had Heathrow arrivals being vectored above the Farnborough arrivals on the ILS and Fairoaks arrivals and departures south of Woking under those. I’m not a good judge of these things, having being interested in aviation from about 12 years old, but the Farnborough arrivals were typically very quiet.

Certainly the best antidote to NIMBY behaviour I’ve seen is having a developer buy up the airport and submit planning permission for a few hundred houses. Suddenly a couple of light aircraft an hour doesn’t seem so bad.

Sign in to add your message