Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How does Eurocontrol IFR (with an IR) work in the UK - tips and tricks

boscomantico wrote:

Are you aware that Cambridge is 100% closed to visitors on weekends?

Has that always been the case? I seem to recall checks logbook flying into Cambridge on a Saturday and departing later that afternoon in 2018….

EDL*, Germany

Helpful thread, I hope to fly into Cambrigde this Friday from The Netherlands (IFR C172 Diesel). If we were to take a bus into town will I be able to pay the driver with a debit/credit card or do I need to get some fresh pounds before we leave? Any other things worth knowing before we fly over?

EHTE, Netherlands

Tips for any Harry Potteresque sights to visit will also be greatly appreciated!

EHTE, Netherlands

Go to Duxford ! EGSU. It’s a fantastic museum and your £19 landing fee includes access to the museum for a couple of hours. Very very much worth the trip. And five minutes flight from Cambridge.

Get a punt on the river.

Go to Trinity college

Wear good shoes for walking. It’s just a place to walk endlessly.

Have a great time.

J

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom

Yes you can pay in bus using contactless credit/debit cards but I would get some spare cash

I would go for Duxford, enjoy free 2h in museum then quick 15min taxi to Trinity college (take same 15min from Cambridge airport as well), on IFR, you can shoot ILS in Cambridge and circle to Duxford (no overhead join)

Check if there are some restrictions on weekend or holiday in Cambridge, we visited the city few times, every time via Duxford, it worked better for day trips and long stays

I personally never managed to land in Cambridge airport, every time it was no because…, including when weather was iffy for Duxford

Last Edited by Ibra at 17 May 09:51
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I think it will be EGSC as I have never flown there and always wanted to. I’ve been to Duxford last year and it is amazing, but I doubt my two girls back me up on this. I have the 24 hrs PPR, I will file a Gendec and GAR for both flight out and return. I will be traveling with minors so I also have a consentform from my wife – their mother.

That’s it, right?

Last Edited by Bobo at 17 May 11:25
EHTE, Netherlands

Bobo wrote:

Helpful thread, I hope to fly into Cambrigde this Friday from The Netherlands (IFR C172 Diesel)

Just be aware that the airport opening hours are different on the site and on AIP, and they close quiet early ( 16:00 IIRC).

EHLE, Netherlands

hmng wrote:

Bobo wrote: Helpful thread, I hope to fly into Cambrigde this Friday from The Netherlands (IFR C172 Diesel)

Just be aware that the airport opening hours are different on the site and on AIP, and they close quiet early ( 16:00 IIRC).

And @Bobo if you fly back on a weekend, please check if they allow you to – quite often they are closed to non-based a/c on Sat/Sun.

EGTR

No, they are ALWAYS closed to visitors on Saturdays and Sundays.

But Bobo will for sure have checked the opening hours accurately.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Naturally I checked it diligently, they even have a NOTAM out. They close an hour earlier then is stated in the AIP… It is (still) not permitted to fly out of Cambridge on the weekends. Oddly enough…

EHTE, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message