Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Do you use your night rating?

Do I use my night rating? Yes, I do quite frequently and in a single engine piston (without parachute).

Part of the story, I am based at one of the very few airfields with 7/24 concession in the area. And I do hope for more ‘Fliegen ohne Flugleiter’ including night operations, but this might stay a dream.

Last Edited by MichaLSA at 05 Apr 05:36
Germany

Do I use my night rating? No.

There are no airports available to use it with regularly and my new base has no night flying. So doing night flying means overnighting off base. Also most airports which do have night flying available are CAT Airports with insane charges.

Case closed.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Case closed

LOL You mean this thread ?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

You mean this thread ?

No, just for me, where I am, night flying is basically no longer feasible nor does it make any sense due to lack of infrastructure.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 05 Apr 09:48
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I got a VFR Night permission as part of my IR. Never used it and never will.

IFR at night however, yes, but only in a Twin.

EKRK, Denmark

Adding a law that additionally forbids something which is already forbidden will for sure solve the problem. Not.

You’re right. Obviously it’s very common thing in eastern parts of Europe; I see it in Croatian legislation very often, piling up new laws to regulate already regulated stuff instead of enforcing existing ones.

Last Edited by Emir at 05 Apr 20:50
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

You’re right. Obviously it’s very common thing in eastern parts of Europe; I see it in Croatian legislation very often, piling up new laws to regulate already regulated stuff instead of enforcing existing ones.

Sometimes new laws do have an important signal value. Consider the Swedish law of 1979 against spanking your children. Spanking was already illegal since the express right of parents to spank their children was removed in 1957 (as the first country in the world, I believe). After that spanking children was illegal by the laws against physical violence in general, it was just that many people thought it didn’t apply to parents. Thus the 1979 law.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Sometimes new laws do have an important signal value.

I understand that as well. We have additional law, recently brought, that defines penalties for femicide although homicide penalties have already been defined in criminal law. However, even that hasn’t helped grim statistics.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Mooney_Driver wrote:

I was based at ZRH which of course is night equipped, but now have moved to Birrfeld which is not.

Hey Mooney_Driver, for what its worth Sion LSGS opens one night a week/month during winter to enable night training and currency. However, I did this once in my Mirage and vowed I would personally never do it again. It was a moonless night and while there was lots of good visual reference on the ground from the autoroute and towns, the closely surrounding mountainsides were completely invisible. It was utterly terrifying. I took off, flew part way to the lake and crawled back making sure to stick directly above the autoroute, only was to know you were not flying into a mountain.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Emir wrote:

I understand that as well. We have additional law, recently brought, that defines penalties for femicide although homicide penalties have already been defined in criminal law. However, even that hasn’t helped grim statistics.

Can sometimes have opposite effect of what is intended. When the French legislator introduced a specific offence of “incest” (for what was before called something like “statutory rape of minor less than 15 years old with aggravating factor of having been performed by person holding authority over the victim”), punished by the same penalties as statutory rape, … the end result was (criminal defence lawyers piped up) to lower the maximum sentence to that of statutory rape without aggravating factor… since what was before an “aggravating factor” was now part of the very definition of the offence.

Airborne_Again wrote:

Consider the Swedish law of 1979 against spanking your children. Spanking was already illegal since the express right of parents to spank their children was removed in 1957 (as the first country in the world, I believe). After that spanking children was illegal by the laws against physical violence in general, it was just that many people thought it didn’t apply to parents. Thus the 1979 law.

I’ve always heard that the 1979 law had no criminal penalty, but was enforced mainly with helping / educating the parents. So you seem to imply that the effect of the 1979 law was to remove the criminal penalties applicable to the offences of “physical violence in general” when the victim is one’s child?

Last Edited by lionel at 06 Apr 17:50
ELLX
Sign in to add your message