Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How far can you get in Europe without Mode S, and can ATC see the Mode S data?

Mode-S is mandatory for IFR in Germany.

It is theoretically possible to obtain an exception from DFS beforehand, but I have never heard of anyone trying or succeeding. I guess it would be difficult, particularly if it’s not just for one single flight, but a series of flights. Don’t expect much sympathy from DFS, especially since their controllers do actually have the equipment to make use of the added Mode-S functionalities.

Sorry, and I know it’s quite different in Denmark, Sweden, etc., but around here, Mode-S has been the standard for IFR for over ten years (and actually for VFR as well!)…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 21 May 14:57
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

SAN wrote:

Does anyone have experience with overflight or enroute charges or for that matter any other fee for AC below and above 2000 kg. My trip will cover most of DE from N to S.

No difference in principle in Germany compared to Denmark. No charges for ≤2000 kg and Eurocontrol collects the charges for >2000 kg. Terminal charges are frequently charged for all aircraft in addition to the landing charges. but that is an airport matter.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Shaking an old thread back to life.

A friend of mine is going to fly an aircraft from UK to Sweden. They might have a Mode C Transponder that works a bit so and so. No mode S. Is it correct to assume that you could fly through France, Belgium, Netherlands and Germany without a transponder? He will most likely stay at 1000’ anyway.

ESSZ, Sweden

From memory:
Belgium – Mode S required for controlled, restricted and military airspace
Netherlands – Mode S required for controlled airspace and above 1200ft
Germany – Mode S required above 5000ft and inside controlled airspace that isn’t a CTR.

A dodgy mode C is likely to be an issue anywhere for controlled airspace.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Netherlands should read required above 1200ft and all controlled airspace

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

No requirements for mode S in Norway. The exception is around some oil rig installations where mode S or ADS-B has to be used.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I crossed Germany VFR from EDXW to EDCG 2 months ago with a mode C at 5500ft and nobody complained. Maybe the traffic there was low enough that ATC didn’t mind.

ESMK, Sweden

BTW, you ought not to be flying 5500 feet in Germany. “Transition altitude” for VFR is 5000 feet, so it would be FL55 that you should fly.

Regarding this, as well as regarding the lack of Mode-S: as said many times, ATC is not air police.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Here, ATC will however deny you a clearance into CAS if you don’t have Mode S, on a Eurocontrol (i.e. London Control) IFR flight plan. So, to some extent, ATC does police the airspace.

This is what I have been told by an ATCO; I have never tested it myself as my Mode S is always on, controlled by a differential air pressure switch.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Germany – have been reminded by FIS Munich to adjust transponder or stay low (user error when swithcing through modes after take-off)

Austria / Italy – flying the Brenner route between Northern Italy and Austria or Southern Germany will be tricky without mode S

EDM_, Germany
Sign in to add your message