Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How far can you get in Europe without Mode S, and can ATC see the Mode S data?

Noe wrote:

Can ATS see the tuned in frequencies via mode S?

No

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

That is what FMC is for, probably we should set 3280 for Farbrough North

If that does not work, I know ATC can see your QNH setting on mode-S, so will try set the rest of Freq decimals there :)

Last Edited by Ibra at 17 Nov 20:35
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

dublinpilot wrote:

Germany – Mode S required above 5000ft and inside controlled airspace that isn’t a CTR.

Is this still the current state of things in Germany?

huv
EKRK, Denmark

Yes. But we are getting more and TMZs, too. Still, it is no problem going all across Germany with just Mode-C (or no transponder at all) if you accept getting beaten up by the turbulence (not always, of course) down low.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

True, and all the Buckers, Jodels, PA18s, etc tend to stay low and slow anyway outside mountainous areas.

This thread was started in 2013 and a lot has changed since then. Today, the question of whether S-mode is needed can/should be answered quite easily for any given country. However, the regulations vary enough across EASA-land that the effort to sort it all out is questionable versus just biting the mode-S bullet for anyone planning any serious travel around the continent. The preflight effort for flying around Europe is high enough generally, especially VFR, that evaluating the mode-S requirement for every flight seems an unnecessary complication. I’m sure practical IFR flying requires mode-S for most countries.

LSZK, Switzerland

IFR in the Eurocontrol system, certainly, but IIRC France and Spain have ignored Mode S for VFR.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

IFR in the Eurocontrol system, certainly, but IIRC France and Spain have ignored Mode S for VFR.

Is that for controlled airspace as well?

EGTR

In France, zone controllers do make exceptions to non-xpdr, LFAT class D is an easy one, just a phone call on the day before departure, going south toward Bergerac/Nantes you have to send few forms 7 days ahead

Belgium has a no-S no-go AFAIK

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

In France you need mode S for IFR flights.Most aero clubs are still opersting mode C if flying VFR only, even in controlled airspace.Non transponder traffic need to stick to E or G airspace or contact the ATC in advance for entry. If non radio and non transponder it is better to remain in E or G airspace unless you want to negotiate with the controller by telephone and it is usually the subject of a special arrangement which might be refused if the controller is worried about maintaining separation at your ETA.(I’m thinking more here in terms of collection aircraft).

France

Airborne_Again wrote:

Swedish ATC can certainly see the selected altitude if you have a mode S transponder. (I fly an aircraft with G1000+KAP140 where the altitude select in the FMS is entirely separate from the altitude select in the A/P, so ask me how I know. )

It is the same for UK ATC. I was slow (a couple of seconds to be precise) to update the cleared altitude in my altitude selector and ATC immediately asked me to confirm my cleared altitude.

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message