Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Avioportolano VFR map Italy

Is it one of these

I would prefer a non-folded map, i.e. rolled up.

Transair list Italian maps but they don’t call them “avioportolano”.

Last Edited by Peter at 07 Apr 17:45
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

for sale here pre. http://www.pilotshop.nl/contents/en-uk/d33_ICAO_Charts.html and here pre. http://www.skywaysdirect.com/contents/en-uk/d14.html – blatant advertisement

Last Edited by Peter_Mundy at 07 Apr 18:21
EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

OK

£12.95 × 7 is more than I was going to buy to update my Jepp 2013 set. Which of the seven is the updated one, covering the area where the airspace has changed in 2014, and which is therefore wrong on the Jepps?

Administrator

There were so many discussions about the Jepp airspace :)

Part of the problem is that some airspace in Italy is defined with a base of 1000ft. but it is not clear if that is AGL or AMSL

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

For this price you could buy yourself the EasyVFR aviation software which has the most updated database next to Jeppesen. You can set the maps to have a Jepp like appearence and every information plus a million other features are available. I have been using it from the early days and it has evolved into one of the most feature rich aviation softwares.

Placido

LSZH

Sure, but some people still want paper and for Italy, Avioportolano is now the only (decent) game in town. In all fairness, the complete set (7 charts) goes for 87 Euros. Plus, the charts are now laminated!

Last Edited by boscomantico at 13 Apr 18:18
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Which of the seven is the updated one, covering the area where the airspace has changed in 2014, and which is therefore wrong on the Jepps?

Administrator

This one (“LI-1”). Looks like they copied the nomenclature from Jeppesen…

I guess you are referring to the changes in the Venice area. That was however not the only substantial change since January 2013 (when the last paper Jepps were published). The Catania (Sicily) area has also changed substantially after Comiso (LICB) airport opened in May 2013. Plus, there have obviously been several more minor changes elsewhere in the meantime.

It’s really no good flying VFR with outdated paper charts. I now recommend using paper charts only for general planning and as a backup and use a good electronic product for serious planning and flying (with chart data updated to the very latest AIRAC cycle). Many countries aren’t like Germany, where major airspace changes are usually only introduced at the March cycle…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 13 Apr 19:25
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

However, from what I read here, the only electronic product which is fully up to date is PocketFMS.

Historically I would expect Navbox to also be current, but it is not a good GPS moving map product.

I would not buy a paper map for any purpose other than to scan it and

• run it as a GPS moving map, and
  • print off enroute strip charts from it, and
  • throw the original map away

Flying with an actual paper map is too much work because how do you position yourself on the map (in a hurry)? Traditionally it would be done by having a GPS which has some (usually primitive) airspace and other shapes visible on it, and you used those to locate yourself. That is how most people use/used the Garmin 296/496 products – because the airspace data on them is crap. But having the “printed” map directly running on the GPS is way better.

Last Edited by Peter at 13 Apr 19:48
Administrator

SkyDemon told me their product should correctly depict Italian airspace by now.

Sign in to add your message