Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA IR for Europe based pilots

@Kerwin So did you do an IR in the meantime? Where did you do it?

As the title suggests, I’m looking at doing FAA IR in the USA. I have a UK PPL, 61.75 and UK IMCR, so have around 50 hours instrument flight time and fly N reg SR20 in the UK.

Looking for recommendations for places I go do FAA IR in the shortest time possible over the pond later this year.

thanks.

Last Edited by vmc-on-top at 04 Apr 13:44

Need a visa? No. Don’t need one? Reach out to Phil from https://accelerated-ifr.com/

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Agree with @tmo. This type of program is the way to go. Also check out PIC’s finish-up program, which takes into account your IMCR experience.

EHRD, Netherlands

I would advise picking a school which operates the type you normally fly. You will be a much better pilot at the end of it. The US IR is hard flying!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The US IR is hard flying!

Agreed. Don’t underestimate the FAA IR checkride. Most US pilots will say it’s the hardest of all the ratings, and mine was extremely challenging. My EASA IR skill test was a walk in the park by comparison.

EHRD, Netherlands

Peter wrote:

The US IR is hard flying!

Is not ;-) nobody dumps you out of CAS, nobody treats you as a nuisance, sometimes you’re asked to keep your speed up for the Airbus on approach behind you, sometimes to slow down for the F16s on approach ahead of you, but ATC just make it work. Nobody asks you for a PPR, nobody sends you inflated invoices for handling you did not use, instead they sometimes offer you a crew car so you can go have lunch in town.

Do note the smirky smiley.

Yes, it is taxing and demanding, you’re expected to get it right the first time, but if you don’t, and don’t do anything stupid while at it, ATC will work it out with you, not entrap you.

Getting the FAA IR on an accelerated course was the most flying fun I had in a long time, if not ever. It was also the most taxing and mentally demanding thing I have done in a long time.

Do not expect to get any sightseeing done while at it. Leave it for after.

Yes, the pilotedge recommendation above might be worthwhile, especially if you fly in a sim; if not, then just LiveATC from the area you will be training in. Not just TWR, but all the frequencies, including the ground ones.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Hello to everyone.
I’m aware of a new agreement between FAA and EASA for LICENCE and IR Rating conversions
My intention is to obtain an PPL SEP/MEP FAA from my EASA actually holded and valid to go in the USA and had an IR accelerated Training, to convert in an EASA IR.
Anyone informed about Cheap and professional SEP/MEP IR rating familiar with this new process?

Thanks a lot in advance

Italy

could you kindly provide a link of this new agreement between FAA and EASA?

thanks

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message