Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Birdstrikes . . .

I've heard about birds diving too, but hadn't realised that gulls were meant to be an exception. They just carry on, do they?

I have heard an apocryphal story of a seagull who went through the propeller of a light aircraft, through the windscreen, and into the back seat. The pilot's problems had only started as it was still very alive, and very angry...

I've never had one, but twice in the last couple of months have learned something about them, both teaching out of Booker.

First, there was a front coming in from the west. I could clearly see it, and I could clearly see that it was going to be unflyable once it got a bit closer - but it was moving slowly, and so I elected as instructor to have us continue with some circuits. However, what I hadn't expected was that Buckinghamshire's large Red Kite population seemed to have decided to move into the relative safety ahead of the front into the Booker overhead. In one circuit, we had three close encounters - two kites and something smaller which was possibly a kestrel, and I suffered a mild sense of humour failure and had my student land for an early lunch.

Second, just after departing Booker for a local area flight and staying on frequency I heard another aircraft had had a prop-strike landing - it seems to have shredded a seagull. No big deal for them, they taxied back in to have it checked. However the local red kites again decided that this was a free buffet and the airport management were forced to close the airfield for around 20 minutes whilst some poor sods had to go and pick up every tiny bit of seagull so that the kites would clear off and have lunch somewhere else.

No damage either time, but a definite "I learned about birdstrikes from that".

G

Boffin at large
Various, southern UK.

At the speeds I fly the birds seem to have the courtesy to overtake carefully, although I had some scary moments when surrounded by a huge flock of swifts, swallows and the like. For a moment or two the sky around me seemed filled with hurtling birds, feeding I guess on insects sucked up below the cloud I was passing under at the time. I found myself ducking as they whirled past, a lot of good that would have done 2mm of polycarb sheet against a bird thrown by a prop, no contest.

More positive encounters though have been very pleasing. Twice now I have had buzzards formating with me as we've eyed each other up. Earlier this year as I played on one of the nice summers days I shared a thermal with another buzzard who flew with wonderful thermal discipline on the other side of the rising air, keeping station to perfection. I felt privileged.

I've heard about birds diving too, but hadn't realised that gulls were meant to be an exception. They just carry on, do they?>

Not true in my experience, they also dive - at least the Spanish ones do!

14 Posts
Sign in to add your message