Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Sheffield City Airport

So why do they mention it in their petition?

EGTK Oxford

Doncaster Finningly is hardly "Sheffield " except for Ryanair maybe...

Egnm, United Kingdom

I still don't understand the actual argument as to why it should be allowed to continue. If it won't necessarily help GA, why do we care? Being completely honest, does Sheffield really need two airports?

EGTK Oxford

They've got the 5000+ signatures - it gets handed in to SCC Thursday 14th Feb.

Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

When examining the detailed plans for the Northern section of the High Speed Rail (HS2) I note that the runway at Sheffield is just clipped by the cutting for the line, and the apron and terminal are lost.

Maybe this is a good reson why there has been no commercial development so far, Peel are probably well informed!

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

I seem to recall that SEP was not allowed at Sheffield due to Local Authority planning issues.

I don't have the full story, but it goes along these lines: The airport was built as part of a wider scheme that extracted a great deal of coal from the site, and a wider area, by opencast methods. The airport was supposed to be a "gain" in return for the disruption of coal extraction.

I don't remember when Peel took it over, but of course they also own Doncaster (Robin Hood) nearby, and there is hardly any incentive to struggle with Sheffield when one owns a much bigger and better commercial airport a few miles down the road.

The rumour was that the original deal meant the airport had to stay as an airport if it was viable. Of course if it isn't viable it might as well be used for something else, for example an office park.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

To be frank JasonC I don't know. I do know (so I'm told) that a petition of 5000+ 'signatures' will 'force a public enquiry'.

Are petitions really the way to get results here? Surely the best way to get results are lobbying the city and Westminster.

EGTK Oxford

No 07 I guess you've signed 'Bathman'. Apologizes, as it's difficult to find individual names out of now 2500. Target to force a public enquiry is a long-way off at 5000.

18 Posts
Sign in to add your message