Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Who decides what language must be used at which airport?

Maybe the easiest would be to have an examiner certify the language skill at the next opportunity…

For example, when I do the MEP skill test in France, I could ask the French examiner to provide me with a document to the effect that I have passed a French language test. Then I send the paperwork to the Norwegian NCAA and they issue a new license with the MEP rating and French LP (hopefully level 6).

LFPT, LFPN

I know of only one towered airfield in France which if FR only (Albert Bray). But I did not check them all.

TWR : 119.650
AFIS : 119.650. Absence ATS : A/A (119.650) FR seulement / only

If I read that right, I think it is only FR only when there is no controller or AFIS agent….

LFCS (Bordeaux Léognan Saucats)

When I went to the DGAC office in Bordeaux after passing my PPL skills test, level 6 French was awarded simply on the basis of a conversation with the lady who does the licences. If you contact your local DGAC they may be able to do the same.

@Bordeaux Jim

Yes, but you did your skills test in France? And have a DGAC-issued PPL?

Anyone who does a skills test in France through the DGAC is automatically awarded Level 6 French.

Bordeaux

One place where you can take a French RT proficiency test is Canada. Maybe some [less stubborn] European authorities can be persuaded to transfer Canadian certification into their own license – after all, it does conform to the ICAO proficiency standards.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 11 Mar 16:39
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Anyone who does a skills test in France through the DGAC is automatically awarded Level 6 French.

Would that include testing for the (very desirable) French ultralight license?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Hello Jan,

The ultralight RT qualification is separate – i.e. you don’t get the RT ‘automatically’ when you pass the ultralight skills test.

Bordeaux

Yes I did a French PPL and French flight test, however the lady said she would put level 6 French on the licence, and that apparently it was not automatic. Not sure what would have happened if she hadn’t though, especially since I couldn’t have had English language proficiency without a test…..

Hello Jan,

The ultralight RT qualification is separate – i.e. you don’t get the RT ‘automatically’ when you pass the ultralight skills test.

But your ultralight instructor has the authority to award this through the club, so it’s not usually a big deal.

Bordeaux

@Bordeaux Jim

No one I know with a DGAC-issued French PPL has done a French language test, ever, so I think there must be some misunderstanding there…perhaps due to your UK origin?

Bordeaux
Sign in to add your message