Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Greek Airports (being sold to FRAPORT in Germany) and many new problems

Sitia is a wonderful place to hang out and the airport is thankfully not run by €raport. It just happens to be quite far to the south east of Greece. Still, a tempting place for a stop and a night’s stay on the way to Astypalia.

Iraklion is a totally manic city. I have been there by car. Never again. One resident described it in terms which I later put in a trip writeup and another Greek suggested I remove them because it might really upset somebody

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

According to recent news reports, the Indian-Greek bidding consortium has won the approval to build a new airport on Crete at Kasteli, being the sole bidder, and they “hope to start contruction” (sic) by the beginning of 2018. So I guess the old airport will stay with us at least for another 10 years as it is…

Flying to the Greek Islands after Fraport take over

I have been flying to the Greek islands for almost 10 years (since I bought my SR22) and this last summer has been dramatically different due to the take over by Fraport. During the summer season, I typically fly 7-8 times (every 2nd or 3rd weekend) and have been to almost every popular and quite a few less traveled islands in the Aegean and Ionian seas. Before the Fraport takeover, the process of getting a PPR and parking permit was straight forward, quick, friendly and most importantly FREE. This summer, it’s become cumbersome, unresponsive, unfriendly to the point of being insulting, and VERY expensive. LGSA, LGRP, LGSK, LGMK have been very difficult or impossible to get PPR. Moreover, there is no way to explain why a simple PPR should cost 45 euros? why in the age of the internet – I’m forced to use a handler for such a task? Moreover – the charge for IFR SLOTS for incoming flights is also outrageous at 56 euros. None of these existed last summer and with the significant raise in handling fees, the price of a single landing went up to 150-200 euros. Since there are typically 3 such landings on a normal weekend trip due to AVGAS (un)availability and entry airport requirements – landing costs of a single trip are 500-600 euros. Frankly, I and 6 other SR22 pilot buddies of mine are re-calculating our flying plans and will seek friendlier, more cost effective destinations moving forward. Any recommendations are highly appreciated..

KAWO, LLHZ

Welcome to EuroGA, SR22-Pilot

I moved your post to an existing thread.

Yes; this is a really bad situation. We are doing a fly-in to Greece in 2 weeks’ time, and we are going to get well ripped off. The two reasonable options for both port of entry and avgas are Iraklion LGIR and Sitia LGST and both are at the far end of Greece, so in the wrong direction. It looks like Athens LGAV will be the least expensive way to do it.

Administrator

Was this a surprise for you? I am asking because all you say has been reported here (and elsewhere) many times now, starting in April.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

SR22-Pilot has only just found EuroGA, I think.

Administrator

NO OVERNIGHT IN MYKONOS & SANTORINI

I intended to celebrate my 60th birthday with a nice flight and stay with my wife in Mykonos and Santorini.

In the beginning of July – I wrote to Mykonos, and received an answer that due to a notam – overnight is not possible till 30.9.2017.
The handler (Goldair) suggested to plan a later date.

Assuming that that was due to the holiday peak time (AUG-SEP) and full of hope – I sent a few days ago a PPR request to both Santorini as
well as Mykonos. Santorini sent a negative response, pointing to a respective NOTAM. Mykonos did not respond yet, but looking up their NOTAMs –
I found a similar NOTAM also there.

Both do not enable a parking longer than 60 minutes! This applies till end October / begin November (current NOTAM).

Well maybe they will allow visits when it is snowing there :(

Going to look for another place to celebrate my birthday where I am welcome..

alichtman wrote:

Going to look for another place to celebrate my birthday where I am welcome.

Just go to Paros (LGPA, state owned AFIS brand-new airport), land and park in a relaxed atmosphere, and go to Mykonos/Naxos etc by boat. Problem solved.

LGMT (Mytilene, Lesvos, Greece), Greece

alichtman wrote:

NO OVERNIGHT IN MYKONOS & SANTORINI

Check www.aopa.gr/Info paragraph 34
Yes believe it or not the fast catamaran boat connection is suggested for these two.

LGMG Megara, Greece

atmilatos wrote:

Just go to Paros (LGPA, state owned AFIS brand-new airport), land and park in a relaxed atmosphere, and go to Mykonos/Naxos etc by boat. Problem solved.

Is it an airport of entry and do they have 100LL? Are there hours of Operation sane? I mean like other things not aviation related in Greece? the World? Not to be obtuse but usually simple things come with gotchas.

KHTO, LHTL
Sign in to add your message