Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Greek Airports (being sold to FRAPORT in Germany) and many new problems

I was glad to hear that the atmosphere is so much better at Skiathos, because we’d like to go back, especially given it can be a port of entry. It’s convenient after a fuel stop at Skopje. But the lack of tie down (as at Milos) really bothers me, especially now for that kind of money. Wind!!!!

As to the French, I posted in haste!!!!

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 20 May 19:49
Tököl LHTL

WhiskeyPapa wrote:

But the lack of tie down (as at Milos) really bothers me

Why ?
You should worry only if there are forecast winds above 50~60 Kts ! In this region it is extremely rare.

LGMG Megara, Greece

I suppose that’s reassuring. My plane somehow got turned around in the wind at Skiathos and the wind wasn’t 50 knots, or at least I don’t think so.

Tököl LHTL

With chocks in the wheels ?
Handlers provide you some very good heavy chocks that won’t slip away (and they don’t charge for it if with AOPA agreement).

LGMG Megara, Greece

50 to 60 kts? No way. Light airplanes can get turned or lifted over the usual small chocks at 20-25 kts gusts, especcially high wing ones. No tiedowns at any airport known for high winds is unacceptable and another attempt to discourage GA.

Only to put it into perspective. 35 kts G 45 lifted a parked Bac 1-11 over the chocks in ZRH many years ago. It was found in a long gone grassy patch unharmed but for a very startled Danair Crew…. And 25G35 did an AN2 which reversed into a parked Lear Jet. Those are seriously large planes in comparison to our light GA.

I do appreciate your efforts and actually am currently in Crete (by airline)but hello, this is for me the final straw unless something changes. Much better to leave your money where you are welcome.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Is the 50% AOPA membership discount still operating in Greece (with selected handlers e.g. Swissport)?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There never was a 50% handling discount. There were fixed rates for AOPA members on private flights (roughly speaking 25€ all-in). See here.

But no, they don’t seem to honour these agreements anymore (in fact, the agreements linked to refer to 2016), because, while still do the “basic handling” for 25€, they now seem to often invent all sorts of additional fees in top, so that, in the end, one ends up with those 150-300€ invoices in total, at least at the Fraport airports.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I am bitterly returning to this sickening issue because word of mouth quickly spread more Easterly from here.These guys were real aviators and friends,flying their club 172 from Beirut to some Greek islands twice a year and leaving their precious money in our little communities.Despite an ill fated experience they had with Santorini airport and its lazy-arrogant bureaucracy;despite the newly imposed difficulties they face now for Intl VFR flights from Lebanon,they still had the courage to direct fly to Greek islands but not like this.
This is a game of “catch me if you can”. I present you their Email I just received,dutyfuly removing our names.

LGGG

To use a phrase that has in recent times been made very popular by a certain US president: This is a disaster. Sad.

Does FRAPORT really think that the price elasticity on airport charges to light GA is such that they can just raise the fees ad vitam aeternam and they will just cash in? Or is it a matter of considering GA as a nuisance and keeping them at arm’s length?

Personally I fly for fun. I go to places where I can enjoy myself, where I do not have to deal with bullshit and do not feel like I am being robbed. Currently there are other countries that are a lot more attractive than Greece.

LFPT, LFPN

Currently there are other countries that are a lot more attractive than Greece.

IMHO there are no places in Europe that are more attractive than (the right parts of) Greece, but everybody has a limit in terms of what they will pay for that, especially if it is a blatent in-your-face ripoff.

I hope things get resolved at least partly, in time for our fly-in in September, otherwise we will be looking at a ~€200 fraport-ripoff on top of what it used to cost.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message