Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Autorouter updates (merged)

Decent customization still requires some UI work, it will come soon with jet-style time-distance-fuel to altitude for descent, etc.

That email you mention is not based on knowledge, it’s based on assumption and estimation. I am not a big fan of it, it’s basically user fraud. There is no way to get that information in almost all cases.

That email you mention is not based on knowledge, it’s based on assumption and estimation. I am not a big fan of it, it’s basically user fraud. There is no way to get that information in almost all cases.

Achim, the RR one is very accurate, I have hundreds of them and they really work.

EGTK Oxford

Still only estimates.

There is no available information on what the aircraft is doing, once it drops off the last radar return reported to Eurocontrol.

The RR landing time is extrapolated – as is the EuroFPL landing time.

Sure, most of the time, you don’t crash between the last radar return and the intended landing

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I know that people like this and we keep getting requests about it. It would take me 30 minutes of work to provide the feature. Still, I believe it is not a good thing. It’s deceptive, it pretends assurance when there isn’t.

Maybe that is too radical a view?

So you’re saying someone could receive that email, while the plane’s actually had an accident?

EGTF, LFTF

Yes, that is what would happen. Or if he entered a holding or diverted or cancelled IFR or missed approach or whatever.

It is pure fiction. German word is “Volksverdummung”

It does reflect reality to some degree because it’s taken from the Eurocontrol temporal flight model which gets adjusted and is used for capacity planning. Actual time over waypoints is fed back into the model as the flight progresses but it always remains an extrapolation of the flight plan so it’s not factual knowledge. I think it’s really bad to present it as such like others do. The reactions here show that people are not aware of that.

Last Edited by achimha at 30 Jun 07:30

Achim, what if you just call it what it is; (Estimated|Expected|Guessed|Computed) Landing Time?

I like it that the autorouter tracking links don’t expire (unlike EuroFPL).

I agree, it’s misleading.

So I guess the message closing the FPL is not accessible?

EGTF, LFTF

The situation is a little bit complex. Eurocontrol are very much about their mandate. They only do, record and show an interest in what they need for their mandate. In case of an aircraft flying somewhere, they are interested in the airspace occupancy until the aircraft is taken over by an aerodrome at the expected and agreed time slot. They are not very much interested in when the touchdown happens. That’s more a SAR thing (+ wife) in which Eurocontrol has no interest.

Sometimes the last message that Eurocontrol get is “aircraft within the airport of destination zone”. That is good enough. This only works at certain airports, when there are radar tracks near the runway. It’s still in the air at that time so I don’t feel totally comfortable reporting it as landed but we chose to do that anyway.

The flight plan gets closed by Eurocontrol 2 hours after the expected arrival. Until then it remains in a status called “ARRIVING” which I agree, can be worrying to outsiders. Others just extrapolate the plan and pretend it has landed which is correct in 99.9% of the cases.

When AIS is involved, an ARR AFTN message can be sent, usually to the Eurocontrol addresses (in which case we get a copy, if not already addressed to us as well). If you fly to e.g. a small field in Germany and phone AIS, this is what we get.

Sign in to add your message