Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Insurance companies, premiums, exclusions, etc

Last year at Friedrichshafen, I asked every insurer enhibiting there if they would cover my plane (N-reg, UK based) and none would.

I've been with Haywards since the start of my ownership in 2002. Originally it went via another broker. There was a big claim in the first few hours (a prop strike in a pothole, with an instructor in the RHS) on which they paid out without a question, buying a brand new prop and the shock load inspection, etc.

Occassionally I get other prices but they are no better.

Currently, some insurers will quote well below and then if you mention that quote to yours, they will meet it I think the margins in aviation insurance are generous...

Being N-reg saves the 5% IPT.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I had and still have issues with Haywards. Even after a verdict from Financial Obmudsman Service, they try to slow the process down. Every step needs to be forced. I can not recomend Haywards.

United Kingdom

I had and still have issues with Haywards. Even after a verdict from Financial Obmudsman Service, they try to slow the process down. Every step needs to be forced. I can not recomend Haywards.

Notwithstanding doing the bulk of UK GA insurance, Haywards is still "only" a broker. The cover is placed with one of a very small number of insurers; several at Lloyds, or some insurance companies. What exactly are they (Haywards) doing to frustrate a payout?

The small number of insurers in GA is incidentally a good reason to not seek quotes too widely. In 2002 I made a mistake of emailing about 30 brokers for a quote - much as one might do with a car. I got banned from the market for the obligatory 30 day period, one insurer immediately re-quoted with a 3x price increase, but luckily I did not need the insurance for about 4 weeks so I got away with upsetting them. If you need to get multiple quotes you need to do it discreetly, perhaps even using made-up aircraft registrations.

Administrator

Last year I went with Emery Little, but I believe they have been taken over.

I think that is just another broker.

There are many brokers.

Currently my insurer is with Great Lakes Reinsurance, via Haywards.

Administrator

The small number of insurers in GA is incidentally a good reason to not seek quotes too widely. In 2002 I made a mistake of emailing about 30 brokers for a quote - much as one might do with a car. I got banned from the market for the obligatory 30 day period, one insurer immediately re-quoted with a 3x price increase, but luckily I did not need the insurance for about 4 weeks so I got away with upsetting them.

Peter, that was undoubtedly illegal. There is no way in the world they can prevent you seeking alternative quotes. To 'ban' you is certainly a breach of trade laws as it requires acting in concert to restrict competition.

EGTK Oxford

Peter, that was undoubtedly illegal. There is no way in the world they can prevent you seeking alternative quotes. To 'ban' you is certainly a breach of trade laws as it requires acting in concert to restrict competition.

Sure, but the reality of one's bargaining position does occassionally encroach upon one's aspirations re fair play

Back then all aviation insurance in the UK was done by just 4 Lloyds brokers plus one insurance company called something like AIB.

Administrator

What exactly are they (Haywards) doing to frustrate a payout?

They play with time, let all deadlines pass... After the adjudication from the Ombudsman, there was silence for 2 month (deadline 6 weeks to propose a loss adjuster). I went back to FOS and got a response to choose from 3 and responded immediately. This was a more than a months ago. Usually loss adjusters contact you within a day or two.

It is not insurer's money it is theirs.

The whole thing took 1 year and 3 months so far and there is no end in sight.

United Kingdom

This doesn't appear to be usual behaviour for Haywards, but I can understand you are not going to detail what exactly happened which led to the claim and to their apparent reluctance to pay out.

Administrator

Hi gents Can you give me a rough ball park figure as to the cost of insuring a piper warrior or Cessna, bearing in mind at the time of insuring I will hold basic ppl with no add ons.... Just a ball park figure would be great

Thanks in advance Nate .

bristol, oslo
Sign in to add your message