Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Insurance companies, premiums, exclusions, etc

thank you for your tips.
Did some quotations on Visicover (even if France is not listed in the available countries) and effectively, Hull Insurance, Liability and use of the aircraft are the most affecting factors.

Quotation was almost the same for a 4 seat TB20 or a 6 seat Bonanza which would have the same hull value (even if the minimum liabiliry is more important for a 6 seater).

More to think about now !!

LFBZ, France

“flying out of gliding range is a mistake and stupid thing to do in single engine”
This must be sarcasm. Otherwise single engine aircraft are useless.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Yes it is sarcasm, but I have met a fair number of airline pilots who say that seriously I guess you get conditioned to whatever you currently have.

Just realised above link was dead; now fixed.

It’s amazing what somebody had to do to get this insurance company to pay out on a hull claim.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Very interesting, these letters that you have access to…

Still, it is all normal business. His lawyer obviously argues that this specific case is not GROSS negligence. Again, all normal business. Some solution will be found in the end.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

these letters that you have access to

The representative of the “insured” has authorised the release, obviously.

It may be “normal” but I am sure most pilots don’t know about this legal principle, believing their insurance covers them for the insured value they purchased!

So I admire this guy (who I have known for many years) for going public. Most clearly would not.

If I was a German pilot I would be looking at purchasing insurance from a UK company, for example. This may not be possible for a piston aircraft however.

This also – yet again – shows the benefit of EuroGA not carrying advertising, and not being associated with a publication which carries advertising; imagine some insurer buying some advert space

Administrator

Where would such claims have to be ruled if you take out insurance from the UK as a continental European? I for one would not feel comfortable dealing with this in a foreign legal system (i.e. the UK).

Depends on the wording of the Policy. A UK one would be under UK laws. They are indeed different (e.g. the passenger liability aspect; not sure how that is dealt with in reality, because if the passengers cannot get an insurance payout they will try to sue the operator) but at least you would not have the “gross negligence” get-out.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Yes it is sarcasm, but I have met a fair number of airline pilots who say that seriously I guess you get conditioned to whatever you currently have.

Yes just sarcasm on my side but yes you do hear that comment regularly from “twin fanatic airliners pilots” but they still fail to explain why even with that top-notch safety record claim they still pay very expensive insurance premiums, maybe an insurance formulas like this one can help:

HullValue*Probability(Engine2 / Engine1)*TwinSkill*Probability(Engine1)*GliderSkill*MTOW*(SpeedSkill*VS0)^2 divided by LandingDistances

Then let them plug few numbers

Last Edited by Ibra at 19 Jun 10:02
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

From gallois’s post it sounds like France is a bit like the UK i.e. the general aircraft type doesn’t matter much. What determines the premium is

• hull cover (obviously)
  • type of users (“club use” may be 3x higher, IME)
  • pilot experience (although after say 500hrs it makes little difference)

Whether it is a TB20, Bonanza, Cirrus, Mooney, etc, makes little difference.

Administrator

This US AOPA article mentions increased premiums but doesn’t mention the Boeing stuff as one of the factors.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message