Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA Journey Log requirements

Peter wrote:

The idea of a custom journey log would be that

it would contain only the fields legally required (the fields in the commercial ones are a hostage to fortune)
it would be cheaper than the commercial ones

The Swedish CAA provides journey log books free of charge.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

The USA differs in many ways and has published differences only on some of them.

Even so, the differences they do list take up a substantial part of AIP-USA… More than a 100 pages IIRC.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 16 Oct 07:40
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I know it can be irritating but in the US its customary and accepted that people ask why? It was with the greatest irritation that detailed explanations had to be given why things were asked of the troops. Plenty of times I felt like saying just shut up and do it cause I said so. Kind of like what Mom would say. However the new and kinder military does not consider such statements as good leadership so t s back to answering why.

Well the same question from me regarding this Journey log. Why is it needed for part 91 flights (private noncommercial)? I can sort of understand it for commercial operations where a Journey Log for an airplane has multiple crews which come and go and so a record of where the plane has been would be nice for Customs &Imm as well as some law enforcement agencies.

As for example I take old sparky from Hungary to Turkey. Then my friend takes it to Damascus then returns. The authorities should know that Sparky was in Damascus for the night or day whichever.

KHTO, LHTL

Submitting to a higher authority AND because the FAA specifically stated I had to, can I use the flights logged in my G496 flights as well as in RR as a flight log? Its electronic but I think it meets all the criteria except pilot signature..

KHTO, LHTL

I append this to this thread, I think it fits here best:

We were ramp-checked in Perpignan yesterday. Two policemen approached us when we were dropped at our aircraft for departure. They were very friendly and appeared to be happy that Mrs. terbang is fluent in French. They asked for pilot’s and aircraft documents and were not interested in flight planning, M&B or fuel. I was able to preflight the plane while they looked at the documents and noted everything in a form. Our Mooney was once D-registered and the previous owner continued to keep a journey log and so do we. The Gendarms appeared to be very interested in the journey log and browsed it for quite a while. Then they told us everything was fine and wished us a nice flight.

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

Rather than start a new thread on journey logs, I thought it best to tag on to the end of this one.

For a non-commercial non-complex EASA aircraft, EASA AMC NCO.GEN.150 says:

The aircraft journey log, or equivalent, should include the following items, where applicable:
(1) aircraft nationality and registration;
(2) date;
(3) name of crew member(s);
(4) duty assignments of crew members, if applicable;
(5) place of departure;
(6) place of arrival;
(7) time of departure;
(8) time of arrival;
(9) hours of flight;
(10) nature of flight;
(11) incidents and observations (if any); and
(12) signature of the pilot-in-command.

Which is fine, but most tech logs I have seen include extras such as:
1) Fuel uplifted and fuel level in each tank at take off.
2) Oil uplifted and oil level at take off.
3) Whether de-icing was done.
4) “A” check done.
5) Paperwork checked.

All of those are sensible and have their uses (e.g. reconciling fuel bills :-), but can anybody point me at a document which mandates their presence? Or is it a carry-over from commercial operations, perhaps so the aircraft could be used with a Flight Instructor on board?

White Waltham EGLM, United Kingdom

I have been asked for this at Biarritz, and at Clermont. N-reg. I have the one Jojo posted.

EGTF, LFTF

Well, the UK style “tech log” and the Part-NCO style “journey” simply aren’t the same, hence the differences. For the sake of Part-NCO compliance, you can ignore those fields in the book which are not required by Part-NCO.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

DavidS wrote:

For a non-commercial non-complex EASA aircraft, EASA AMC NCO.GEN.150 says:

The aircraft journey log, or equivalent, should include the following items, where applicable

I was under the impression that a ‘Journey Log’ is required by ICAO signatory nations only for international flights. Does EASA in its dictates to subject nations require it for single country flights too?

DavidS wrote:

Which is fine

It’s fine if your interest is in keep a diary, maybe for later use in writing your flying aurobiography… For practical use of aircraft by their owners, I think its a bizarre concept.

DavidS wrote:

1) Fuel uplifted and fuel level in each tank at take off.
2) Oil uplifted and oil level at take off.
3) Whether de-icing was done.
4) “A” check done.
5) Paperwork checked.

Keeping a durable and auditable record of that nature strikes me as schoolboy-style nonsense.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 09 Nov 18:31

DavidS wrote:

All of those are sensible and have their uses (e.g. reconciling fuel bills :-), but can anybody point me at a document which mandates their presence? Or is it a carry-over from commercial operations, perhaps so the aircraft could be used with a Flight Instructor on board?

M.A.306 Operator’s technical log system
(a) In the case of commercial air transport, in addition to the requirements of M.A.305, an operator shall use an aircraft technical log system containing the following information for each aircraft:
1. information about each flight, necessary to ensure continued flight safety, and;

AMC M.A.306 (a) Operators technical log system
Section 3 should contain details of all information considered necessary to ensure continued flight safety. Such information includes:
i. the aircraft type and registration mark.
ii. the date and place of take-off and landing.
iii. the times at which the aircraft took off and landed.
iv. the running total of flying hours, such that the hours to the next schedule maintenance can be determined. The flight crew does not need to receive such details if the next scheduled maintenance is controlled by other means acceptable to the competent authority.
v. details of any failure, defect or malfunction to the aircraft affecting airworthiness or safe operation of the aircraft …
vi. the quantity of fuel and oil uplifted and the quantity of fuel available in each tank, or combination of tanks, at the beginning and end of each flight; …
vii. the pre-flight inspection signature

IIRC the UK ANO used to require a tech log for aircraft operated for public transport or aerial work (including flight instruction), hence lots of flying club aircraft have them.

Sign in to add your message