Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fuelling on a Strip

My RV-10 project just gained an engine, and i’ll be going for a first engine run in the next few weeks. Just one thing missing…. fuel!

I’ve got a price for 4x AVGAS drums delivered on a pallet from CYMA. Does anyone know of any other suppliers?

I guess i’ll need a hand pump to lift the fuel out of the drum into the wings.

Once the aircraft is moved to the strip, there is no Avgas available either, and whilst I can often pick up fuel from other airfields en-route, it’s sometimes necessary to fuel at base.

Does anyone have any experience with how to transport fuel around? I’m thinking of keeping the drums of avgas safely at home, decanting into something i can drive, and then into the aircraft. With my old Rotax powered machine it used so little fuel that a couple of Jerry cans were fine, but with the RV-10 having 220L tanks this is a bit harder!

EGKL, United Kingdom

The fuel tanks of the aircraft are a pretty good way to transport fuel. If you only need AVGAS occasionally at home base, you could drain 5 or 10 gallons from the plane at base every time you fill up elsewhere. I know people who do this at an airport where fuel is available from two suppliers, because the fuel elsewhere is substantially less expensive.

Warter Fuels have been pushing avgas very hard in Europe. They are keen; they said it was a @ 200M € market.

with the RV-10 having 220L tanks this is a bit harder!

I think you have discovered this and this

A number of people here are very familiar with the legalities.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If you plan to make it frequently, I suggest to use electric pump, I am using EX50 from Piusi (www.piusi.com) they come in 12V and 230V variant, before that I was transfering fuel using gravity an 20 lt jerrycans – messy and time consuming, then hand pump , with that you’ll get nice workout before you fill 200 lt tanks. Now, despite fact that Avgas is available today on my airfield, I am still using my drums and pump, I get about 500-1000 EUR of savings , if I order 2000 liters from Warter Poland and store it in my hangar , compared to what I have to pay locally .

TomF
EPWS

Here is another good thread.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Have it delivered in 200ltr drums instead for using a electrical pump that is expensive due to be fuel save, a hand pump is lots of work.
I use air! modified the 2 bungs from the fuel drum in the small bung i installed a schrader valve (tire valve) in the larger bung i drilled a hole and welded a 20mm tube to it that goes to the bottom of the drum (minus 10mm) on the other end that sticks out from the bung approx 100mm i fitted a 90deg shut of ball valve and on the other end of the valve u fit a flexibale hote that reaches your fuel tank.
screw in the 2 modified bungs into the fuel drum, connect the tire valve to a air compressor, limit the max air pres.to 2 bar (or more depending were ur tank sits) and of you go

cheap and chearfull and it works cost about 25pounds euro in hardware

fly2000
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message