Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mooney goes two doors!

The Mooney M20K, M20M, M20R and M20S have CAV TKS systems available that are CERTIFIED FIKI… Why USF____ believes the M20U and M20V should not be is a mystery….

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Peter,

I am looking for an alternetive source, the video was uploaded to FB by the owner of Mooney himself. So far, apparently it is not yet available on youtube.

I tried to access the video from a machine which has no FB logged on or installed and it comes right up. Don’t think you need an account to watch it.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

If it works, don’t worry about it. There may have been another issue at my end, at the same time.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

USFlyer wrote:

FIKI is a CERTIFIED deice system on the Cirrus. The Mooney provides a TKS non certified deice system which cannot be used to legally fly into known ice. Also, Mooney says you cannot buy the TKS system and the A/C system in the same aircraft. Cirrus builds with both FIKI and A/C installed.

This is WRONG. FIKI has been a factory option for years. As it is with most manufacturers.

BTW, mistake on my part in the post with the video:

The M20V flew first on October 29, 2015, not in December.

I fly Cirrus and Mooneys. I like them both.

Let’s talk about facts :

USFlyer wrote:

FIKI is a CERTIFIED deice system on the Cirrus. The Mooney provides a TKS non certified deice system which cannot be used to legally fly into known ice. Also, Mooney says you cannot buy the TKS system and the A/C system in the same aircraft. Cirrus builds with both FIKI and A/C installed.

This article shows that Mooney got TKS FIKI certified in 1997 (or before). Way before the SR22 got it’s type certificate…

The cabin is a meager 43 inches wide and the useful load 1000 lbs.

I wouldn’t call it meager but the datas are right.

Plus it has retractable gear which costs a LOT more to insure and requires specific training before an insurance company will cover the plane.

It didn’t cost us more at all. Pricing of my insurance company depends on the seating configuration, number of pilots flying the plane and it’s MTOW. No specific training was mandated to any pilots.
I don’t know the situation in the USA.

Mooney lacks critical features offered by Cirrus like the BRS parachute,

There is no BRS in the Mooney. But then if the BRS is a “critical” feature, a lot of aircraft flying today lack it.

the Perspective panel

It has the same G1000 with SVT and the same keyboard as the Cirrus. The G1000 screens are a bit smaller.

the LOP set mechanism

The Mooney Ovation 3 POH itself calls for LOP operation if you want to get best economy. Lean assist is provided in the G1000.

the side yoke,

It’s a different layout, for sure.

the crush/impact seats

That’s right but then one can say that the Cirrus lack the Mooney steel roll cage

the throttle tree .v. the older more tedious verniers, the integrated automatic constant speed prop control .v. manual prop control,

That comes down to personal preference.
The verniers offers smooth engine control and enables fine engine tuning.
The Cirrus prop linking is obviously easier to fly but offers less tuning / manual control .
Each system has it’s pros and cons

digital backup panel

The newest versions discussed in this topic offer digital backup instrument.

, and a fifth seat in the back.

The fith seat is a Mooney factory option. The two independant seats are removed and a “bench” in installed. The 5th seating is rather a child seat but so is the Cirrus.

Last Edited by Guillaume at 23 Feb 19:54

Mooney_Driver wrote:

This is WRONG. FIKI has been a factory option for years. As it is with most manufacturers.

The Mooney website price list has no FIKI…it lists TKS…and the system is not certified. And interestingly Mooney says you cannot equip the plane with their non certified TKS system and the A/C.

The Mooney site lists TKS Known Ice Protection System as a $64,990 option for all their current models… “Known Ice” = FIKI

http://www.mooney.com/en/pdf/pricing/2016_M20Pricing.pdf

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Maybe USflyer doesn’t know what Known Ice means? Always was a tricky subject in aviation. This regardless of the small detail that one can’t install ex factory a non certified system on a certified plane and hope the FAA won’t notice.

Last Edited by Shorrick_Mk2 at 23 Feb 21:35

FIKI has little or no meaning in Europe because the FAA definition is in the context of US weather services.

It was different for a brief period when the FAA defined KI as any flight in IMC below 0C but that was changed a long time ago, for obvious reasons of practicality.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message