Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Temporary Schengen "suspension" around Europe

I’ll have to confirm before my next trip, but 45/60 Euros handling at LPPR would be “great”.
Landing / Parking seems cheap (it was when I landed at Faro a couple years ago). Tried to call Portway right now to confirm costs for a DA42 but couldn’t get through, will try again a bit later.

Airport costs 2016 (PT only, but maybe google translate is your friend) https://www.ana.pt/pt/system/files/documents/guia_de_taxas_reguladas_2016.pdf?language=en

Mooney_Driver wrote:

It’s easy to criticize but difficult to do better…

The regulatory environment (different subject) is where I partly earn my living.

To start courting when you want something is a sign of ad-hoc lobbying, usually less successful.
Establishing a relationship over time is one telltale of a successful lobbyist.
When something comes up, you need a simple one pager stating problem, unintended consequences and proposed solution.
(which I did not expect to read here, just to be clear)
A lengthy, content-light communication is most often playing to the constituencies.

;-)

EDM_, Germany

Looks pretty much what is going on here, as in these people have not had any connection so far and need to establish that relation. Otherwise I very much agree with your post, that is how lobbying works. We shall see what they achieve.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I have email confirmation for Porto: 4 people / 2 days:

Airport fees:
Landing 4,24 per ton total 8,48 euros
Parking 1,56 per ton total 3,12 euros per day
Payment can be done through Handling Agent (Add 15% disbursement fees – 2,68 euros)
Handling fees:
Handling (Full Handling) total 62,00 euros
Customer clearance total 11,00 euros

Just have to find some dates for a little tour now.

(That’s without VAT and according to email I includes the eventual night surcharge)

Last Edited by Noe at 30 Jun 15:55

Its amazing that without that damn handling fee the airport i actually cheap. I wonder if since all these handlers are cropping up like mushrooms after a wet spell if it could have anything to do with payoffs to whomever is involved with allowing them into an airport?

Having read through this thread my thoughts come to Greece. It is a full EU member and Schengen yet they require you to land at an airport of entry and require all the docs. So if they do it and is accepted by EU citizens and the EU, why shouldn’t Portugal do the same?

KHTO, LHTL

I wonder if since all these handlers are cropping up like mushrooms after a wet spell if it could have anything to do with payoffs to whomever is involved with allowing them into an airport?

Based on what I have seen locally and elsewhere, it does seem to be the case at least sometimes that some wide boy approaches the airport management and convinces them that if they give him exclusivity on a certain category of traffic (e.g. all of GA, GA over 2T, etc) then he will bring them loads of business and deal with all the “admin hassle which these little people always bring”. Most airport management is incompetent enough to fall for this offer.

OTOH we do have the persistent difficulty with bizjet traffic, most (not all) of which likes a handler to do everything – because his client doesn’t care how much it costs so long as he and his wife gets very slick treatment. I reckon that if bizjet clients didn’t want handling, the whole handling scene would collapse pretty fast.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I reckon that if bizjet clients didn’t want handling, the whole handling scene would collapse pretty fast.

This is wishful thinking, but probably true. At San Sebastian, handling is 61 euros and consists of being walked 100 yards from your plane to the terminal by a lady in a HiViz jacket. There is bizjet traffic and airport staff told me that they had been called once by a visiting jet to arrange a Rolls Royce at the terminal to take their passengers to one of the famous Basque restaurants for lunch. Once at Biarritz I saw three Netjets Citations, the last disembarking handicapped passengers. The airport staff were very attentive.
Simon

There is nothing wrong with having handling agents at airports if their use is not compulsory.

Often enough, having a handling company present which you CAN employ to do certain things for you, is quite useful, as long as you are the one who can choose if you use them or not.

The problem is the fact that most of those companies now have monopoly powers and use them too. That is wrong and should be legally challenged on a wide scale. But it’s difficult and can only be done by one of the larger organisations.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

We have paid almost 500 euros for handling which comprised a person walking alongside the passengers from the aircraft to the terminal building. The passengers carried their own bags.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)
Sign in to add your message