Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

I'm thinking it might be easier to buy a house in Munich....

JasonC wrote:

I also think, for that sort of flying, it makes you far safer. As always, it is about priorities.

Might be, provided you have acquired some experience and make good decisions, but it is a two-edged sword. I often say that the IR provides you with new ways of killing yourself. Until one has figured out the limits of one’s abilities, as well as the limits of his equipment, and acquired a better understanding of weather phenomenon, a fresh IR holder is probably not much safer unless he flies in the same weather he did VFR.

LFPT, LFPN

Howard wrote:

2. My work is demanding, like many others here I’m sure. It means that finding the time to study in particular is difficult. I’m sure I could do the flying skills work at weekends and in weeks

This is always the case Howard. But if you want more reliability to do the sort of trip you just did then you need an IR. I also think, for that sort of flying, it makes you far safer. As always, it is about priorities.

Last Edited by JasonC at 19 Jun 21:59
EGTK Oxford

Howard wrote:

2. My work is demanding, like many others here I’m sure. It means that finding the time to study in particular is difficult. I’m sure I could do the flying skills work at weekends and in weeks booked off. The exams however require a long period of concentrated work.

Howard, I know exactly how you feel on that score.
You seem to have accepted your predicament with admirable alacrity. I wonder if you can find the time to do a trip write-up? I’m sure I would not be alone in seeing a write up that was reflective of 90% of PPL holders as against the 2% who are typical of this forum. (That is not meant to be offensive, it’s just how I perceive things and you, the reader, can decide who the other 8% are!).

Forever learning
EGTB

Howard wrote:

I keep wondering about doing an IR. The idea appeals to me enormously. However here are the reasons that I haven’t done it, which perhaps are common to others:

An IR can often make the difference between getting home, or being stranded in Carcassonne or Munich for a week So basically it gives you more options. Therefore you can go on a trip with more certainty that you will actually get home when you want to.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 19 Jun 21:02
LFPT, LFPN

Howard wrote:

I’m hoping that the weak rumours about a soon-to-be-announced Basic IR prove to be correct

Concept paper was published about six months ago and the NPA for the new rating should be imminent (it was scheduled for the second quarter of this year). It still has ways to go.

… without having to sit too many IR exams that are completely irrelevant.

I’m curious to see what they’ll come out with.

Actually, as a first step, I’d like EASA to recognise Europe-wide my IR(R) (IMCR) and let me fly IFR in non-class A, and instrument approaches.

I wouldn’t bet on that happening. IR(R) is scheduled to end even in the UK in a few years and if Basic IR makes it, I would expect them to see it as a sufficient replacement.

Last Edited by Martin at 19 Jun 20:49

Well done Howard

Most “leisure pilot” (you and me) IR is done in reasonable wx, and an IR is a great tool for the job.

The CB IR is OK, though the exams could be improved (reduced) from what I hear. They are still full of crap.

But when you do it, you will never want to go back.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@AdamFrisch I keep wondering about doing an IR. The idea appeals to me enormously. However here are the reasons that I haven’t done it, which perhaps are common to others:

1. I really don’t have a good reason to fly…I just fly for fun. I don’t have family a long way away from home, nor business contacts that I have to fly to see. This is a pity. It means that I have no pressing reason to get a better dispatch rate.
2. My work is demanding, like many others here I’m sure. It means that finding the time to study in particular is difficult. I’m sure I could do the flying skills work at weekends and in weeks booked off. The exams however require a long period of concentrated work.

I’m hoping that the weak rumours about a soon-to-be-announced Basic IR prove to be correct (not the crappy EIR which apparently fewer than 5 people have undertaken). I’d like to be able to file IFR and fly competently without having to sit too many IR exams that are completely irrelevant. Actually, as a first step, I’d like EASA to recognise Europe-wide my IR(R) (IMCR) and let me fly IFR in non-class A, and instrument approaches. That would be a good step up in the first instance. Sadly I don’t make the rules.

Howard

Last Edited by Howard at 19 Jun 19:07
Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

I made it home today, albeit through some rather low cloud in certain places. Landed at Elstree a few hours ago.

Thanks for everyone’s support.

Howard

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

Stephan_Schwab wrote:

This is just a picture from the other side at 9000’ on that day. I hope Howard has made it home by now.

Looks benign to me! Good visibility, no T-storms, and what appears to be good room between bases and ground!

Tököl LHTL

What about Special VFR? It should allow you to depart in sub VFR conditions.

EIWT Weston, Ireland
45 Posts
Sign in to add your message