Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK GAR form discussion, and UK border police procedures

I don’t think that they’ve cancelled the emal/fax submission. They are just totally discouraging it, as it involves manual work for them in re-entering it.

If you use the AOPA website, the GAR is free. The downside is that it doesn’t remember any of your details, so you need to re-enter them every time you use it.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

The lady I spoke to made it clear that the email remains perfectly acceptable.

IMHO, until it is withdrawn formally, it is 100% OK to use

I can’t see them withdrawing it otherwise the whole GAR system will be so inaccessible that pilots visiting the UK will go crazy.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I use onlinegar (no connection) which I find really very good now and simple to use anywhere with a link to the net. It isnt too badly priced either. Its the best I have found and apparently deals with the additional requirements of the CIs and Eire.

I use the GAR facility linked through SkyDemon, really good, remembers all your pre-programmed passengers so you can add them as required to the current GAR, completes all the flight details from the flightplan in SkyDemon and its free.

Last Edited by PhilTheFlyer at 26 May 13:58
Flying a Commander 114B
Sleap EGCV Hawarden EGNR

Other places (neither designated nor holding a Certificate of Agreement)

‘Other places’ do not have any type of designation or a Certificate of Agreement.
When using an ‘other place’, you can only fly within Great Britain and Northern Ireland or to/from destinations within the European Union (EU).
(My bold)

Forever learning
EGTB

How does one deal with GARs when one’s flight outbound or inbound are delayed / cancelled?

I can find no information online as to how one cancels or amends a GAR once submitted, due to a delay on the ground or a cancelled flight. I’m very surprised because a delayed / cancelled GA flight is of course a frequent occurrence.

Help please.

Thanks

Howard

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

The current version of the GAR instructions contains a telephone number. While it does not explicitly say it is to communicate delays (they call it an “emergency number” to avoid that everybody and his dog uses it for routine cases), it clearly works for these purposes.

But as long as the delay is less than say two hours, I wouldn’t bother sending them an update. They use flightplan data (ATD + ETE) to calculate a precise ETA if they want to come and see you.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 30 May 15:03
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

If you file through the free AOPA site, or OnLine GAR, you get a submission number which you can use to cancel a GAR.

It’s not possible to delay or change a GAR. But if you arrive later than planned, I don’t think it’s much of a problem as they can either wait, or ask the airport to let them know when you arrive. Arriving earlier than planned might be a problem, if it’s a few hours.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I had it last monday. Cancelling after a filed GAR. I called Immigration at Ebaw and asked if I had to cancel the GAR, but they told me I had to notify nobody after a cancelled flight.

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

Huh? GAR is a UK thing. Immigration at EBAW knows nothing about (or at least has no jurisdiction over)
UK GARs…

Just sayin’…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 30 May 17:54
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message