Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Skipping checklist items due to stressful events

what_next wrote:

This was yesterday in Franfurt: A Royal Air Maroc B737-700 taking off with either the wrong flap setting or wrongly calculated V speeds (it’s on the front page of PPRuNe). Only good flying skills saved the day for them, this could have easily become a major disaster.

Don’t they have Take-Off config warnings for that???

what_next wrote:

checklists are usually read completely, even in a rushed situation. Still errors do happen from time to time.

It’s called Checklist Discipline as referred to earlier. However there is a caveat, which is confirmation bias, or better expectation bias… looking without seeing.

Re. skipping items. Realise that a lot of items on your ‘checklist’ are not killer items. I.e. check lights on before entering runway/take-off. You won’t die. But forgetting will increase risk ever so slightly because you have lost a mitigating factor. Those are the items that you could skip through when rushed.

Also you need to be very careful about your proficiency. If you aren’t proficient due to a lack of recent experience, don’t rush!!! Take your time and make sure you have time. Once you get your proficiency up again you can start to increase the speed of tasks. A fine balance.

Skipping parts of your checklist without thinking does not belong in a pilot’s handbook…

Archie wrote:

Don’t they have Take-Off config warnings for that???

For some of it they do. For example an attempt to take of with flaps zero would trigger that warning. But flaps one is an approved setting for takeoff. And the warning system can not know if V speeds for a flaps 5 takeoff have been inserted but the flaps are at position one.

EDDS - Stuttgart

what_next wrote:

This was yesterday in Franfurt: A Royal Air Maroc B737-700 taking off with either the wrong flap setting or wrongly calculated V speeds (it’s on the front page of PPRuNe). Only good flying skills saved the day for them, this could have easily become a major disaster.

This was a maneuver to counteract possible wake turbulence, according to Royal Air Maroc:

“Following dissemination of false information about flight AT-811 of July 23rd, Frankfurt – Casablanca, we wish to clarify that Frankfurt tower advised the captain of our flight in question of possible wake turbulence as result of a simultaneous landing of an A330. As result the captain performed a maneuver to accelerate in order to achieve speeds which permitted safe takeoff.

Source: https://twitter.com/RAM_Maroc/status/769118391609225220

lenthamen wrote:

This was a maneuver to counteract possible wake turbulence, according to Royal Air Maroc:

“Following dissemination of false information about flight AT-811 of July 23rd, Frankfurt – Casablanca, we wish to clarify that Frankfurt tower advised the captain of our flight in question of possible wake turbulence as result of a simultaneous landing of an A330. As result the captain performed a maneuver to accelerate in order to achieve speeds which permitted safe takeoff.

To any pilot or other people involved in aviation, this is such an obvious lie. The aircraft was rotated almost to the point of tailstrike and yet the initial lift off didn’t happen until 5 seconds later

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

My turn, C-150 with passenger for a short flight. (40 minutes sightseeing flight). I found my GPS (airnav pro in iphone) is turning off after second or two. I was playing with it during taxi to the runway holding point and tried to reboot phone there etc. (did just quick mag. check during phone reboot) So I build up some queue behind me and realized I had to go without GPS. Well I don’t need a GPS for such a flight but in this case, passenger wanted to see his village which is partially in prohibited area and I wanted to go as close as possible. I informed passenger no home village today, checked gauges for all greens, full throttle and somewhere around 40kts I found I should use flaps too….not a big deal with Cessna 150 on 800 meters runway but……

LKLT.LKBE

Well idiot of the week coming up. After reading this thread, and tut tutting at a few antics, my son and I were going to an event at Dundee, Saturday morning. Turned up, prepped the Cub, all checks complete, onto the grass, (wet), runway, 10 knot crosswind, which, during my roll, turned slight tailwind, and 20 lbs over max weight. Piece of cake. It did not rotate. Aborted, some excitement at this stage, tried again. Nope, it did not lift. Strange thinks I. Back to the ramp. We are now late by this time, and abandon the trip. Various comments about me taking off with tailwind, crosswind etc. Guess who failed to check and set take off trim. Twice!!!!

I actually think I may be losing it

After an hour, I jumped in, myself, to actually convince myself that it could fly, followed my self imposed check list, set the trim and double checked the trim, and she flew beautifully……..

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Michael wrote:

The 340 was trashed.

OMG. So sad to hear. I read about this on a FB group, and saw that C340 in Michael’s hangar during one of my visits to LFPN.

At least the occupants made it ok.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 29 Aug 20:20
LFPT, LFPN

When I read my check list I hold it with left hand, 4 fingers below it and left thumb on top indicating the item checked.
The thumb never leaves the item it points unless its checked.
So I have one hand less available for cockpit actions but I am confident I will not jump checks because of distractions or other reasons.

LGMG Megara, Greece

Airborne_Again wrote:

To any pilot or other people involved in aviation, this is such an obvious lie.

I’m sure someone on the internet will be onto the tower tapes before tomorrow… to prove the correctness of the statement… or the incorrectness…

Archie wrote:

I’m sure someone on the internet will be onto the tower tapes before tomorrow… to prove the correctness of the statement… or the incorrectness…

There will be no tapes because there has been no accident or anything worth of an official investigation. End even then the tapes would not be released to the public.

And why is this Moroccan press statement a stupid lie? First, there was no “simultaneous landing” of an A330. The A330 can be seen at the beginning of the video landing on 07R (from what it looks like). Then the 737 begins it’s takeoff roll on runway 18. Not even close. I would maybe understand that excuse if it had been a parallel operation on 07L and 07R. And the video shows no sign at all of the 737 being hit by wakes or any other form of turbulence. All very smooth.
They should just stick to the truth and emphasise that a difficult situation was mastered by good piloting skills. This is far more reassuring to the public than silly lies which are uncovered the very moment they are spoken.

Last Edited by what_next at 30 Aug 11:53
EDDS - Stuttgart
Sign in to add your message