Banner
Welcome to our forums

Near miss (UK)

Stanley refers to post 73 I believe

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

The flight I referenced was 7th June.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thought I would go back to the track data and find the head-on.

It was a mode S target and the data came by way of an uplink (U) from the Selsey ground station giving me the MLAT (M) data
I never saw this with my eyes until 1nm, by then I had dropped 500 ft whereas the opposing aircraft continued at his alt.

The data for my aircraft (blue) in the box on the left.

Archer2
EGKA, United Kingdom

Nobody listening on either Solent or Bournemouth

Administrator

QuoteOK; next time I see somebody heading for me and I have some seconds to make a decision, I will reference the EGHI notams to see what I should do

A pan is the answer. Pan, pan, pan g-xxxx is climbing to avoid opposite direction traffic, not visual, and also climbing below.

Even Gasco might have a job doing you for that, although I know its all about consequences and ask questions later, so even they might ditch the secret’s in their name in preference to flushing their coffers with some more money. Times be hard you know when not many are around to infringe.

Last Edited by Fuji_Abound at 09 Jun 22:13

I think one Spit has PAW (sometimes) and also my PAW receives MLAT pure mode C targets in the area when the ground Stations at Sandown and Selsey are up. And this has alerted me once to a same altitude head-on (not a Spit in that case).

Archer2
EGKA, United Kingdom

I suspect he was pure Mode C (nothing on tracking sites) so nothing short of an active TAS (TCAS1) is going to pick it up with azimuth and distance. A passive box could get the relative altitude only, and there were plenty of other aircraft in the vicinity; one of them was also from Shoreham and landed there right after me.

He would have been climbing directly into the sun.

Nothing can be done in Class G…

Administrator

Sounds like it might have been the Spitfire (maybe operating out of Lee on Solent). I have picked them up before with my PAW so its worth a call to Lee and/or their Goodwood Base if you want to follow it up.

Archer2
EGKA, United Kingdom

Upon an MOR received, the CAA guy will suspend my license first (the documented action, post-gasco) and then just leave me like that, until some process takes place…

They would be delighted if I left the UK because I would not be publishing stuff like this

Administrator

Next time you see somebody heading for you and you have some seconds to make a decision, you shouldn’t have to worry about airspace.

If they force you to take the GASCO course blah blah for saving you life, then switch your country.

ESME, ESMS
78 Posts
Sign in to add your message