Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How to “train” on touring

zuutroy wrote:

I think PPL lessons have to stay within the FIR which precludes foreign trips as part of the training that counts towards the license.

I don’t think so… Definitely not within the FIR, and I’d be surprised if it were true for national boundaries.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

LeSving wrote:

Crossing boarders etc seems to be a problem mainly for British people ?

Judging by the constant stream of G-reg aircraft flying to/from France that I could hear last Sunday on London Info, I think not.

Andreas IOM

I think people spend far too much time concentrating on the risk of the single engine quitting over the sea and ignoring others. At least for crossings from the Isle of Man, all the planes that went in the sea from the Isle of Man in the last 20 years, all of them have been either twins or loss of control accidents (or both). One was a double engine failure which was not actually caused by running out of fuel (they still found fuel in the tanks after the plane had been submerged for a couple of months).

I think a FAR higher risk when crossing water is not the engine stopping but weather (which is true over land of course, but more insidious over the sea). The milkbowl effect can be quite severe on an otherwise CAVOK day once you get over the water (even with reported vis >10km), and it’s why I have gyros and a G5 in my VFR only plane. Sometimes people are tempted to scud run over the sea because there’s no hills to crash into, but hitting the sea out of control is just as deadly as hitting the land out of control.

Andreas IOM

I have a G5 HSI and it’s comforting to know that it can be used as a backup AI in hazy conditions like that. On a semi-related note….What happens to an AI driven autopilot like the KFC150 if you have a vacuum failure?

EIMH, Ireland

It cuts out

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

I don’t think so… Definitely not within the FIR, and I’d be surprised if it were true for national boundaries.

Well with my recent experience I can confirm that in Germany while training for ones PPL, it is NOT allowed to land outside Germany. I would have loved to go to Hohenems, short airfield, tricky approach due to built up areas and mountains but my Instructor told me its not possible. LAHR would have been another interesting option but I settled for Karlsruhe Baden and Bremgarten in same region.

Germany

acquilinus wrote:

Well with my recent experience I can confirm that in Germany while training for ones PPL, it is NOT allowed to land outside Germany. I would have loved to go to Hohenems, short airfield, tricky approach due to built up areas and mountains but my Instructor told me its not possible. LAHR would have been another interesting option but I settled for Karlsruhe Baden and Bremgarten in same region.

When I read this I immediately came to think of the other thread about pointless regulations. This is absolutely not something that EASA has suggested. Either it is a rule in some schools or the LBA is doing the usual stuff. Flying abroad is an excellent thing to do during the train to sort of take the drama away from it.

ESSZ, Sweden

In the UK you can’t fly abroad when training either – not even for the IR; cannot fly an IAP outside the UK.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

acquilinus wrote:

Germany while training for ones PPL, it is NOT allowed to land outside Germany

What? Can you cite the law about this?

Our course relocated to Croatia for months to do floght training over the winter… it was pre EASA though.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

What? Can you cite the law about this?
This seems to be a very widespread OWT in Germany, and it is definitely not true. My PPL-students do at least one XC-Flight abroad with me, either to Switzerland or to France. I do not even count my common training destination Hohenems LOIH into that, because it is just a 15-minute-flight and does not even require a flightplan.

German authorities, however, get picky if training flights regularly do not begin or end at the location of the ATO. Obviously too many “ATO-subsidiaries” have been established without real oversight or any affiliation other than using the approval and paperwork of the “parent ATO”.

Friedrichshafen EDNY
Sign in to add your message