Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Friedrichshafen EDNY 2016

Thanks Tom. A landing would be around 100 Euros for me then, which isn’t that bad. You could spend that for an all-day parking in London for your car.

Great to put the face to the name after what must be 10-15 years, Rosewellian

I too went to the Avidyne stand. I spoke to a guy called Gubbins who is ex Garmin and is now the Avidyne manager Among other bits, he said that total European IFD540 sales are only 5-8 units, due to the lack of an EASA STC. I found this hard to believe, but what do I know? It would be shocking if it was true, given that Europe is full of N-regs. OTOH almost every Garmin+Avidyne (i.e. both) dealer I know has told me they are selling zero IFD boxes and are steering everybody to the GTNs. The reasons for this are not stated but I assume that since most avionics installers have little understanding of avionics interconnections (they are basically wiremen), they naturally choose the path of least resistance, including the best post-installation dealer support which for sure won’t (in Europe) be Avidyne!

That said, the IFD540 is by far the nicest box out, against the GTN750 and the KSN770. The 770 is IMHO a very risky choice given Honeywell/King’s record of abandoning products e.g. the now-dead KFD840. If Shoreham gets LPV, I will be looking at 2×IFD540.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks Peter I have printed and laminated.

Big Thanks to JasonC for my ride to the show… never thought I would have a front seat ride at FL390, now thats what I call a room with a view!
and he made it look so simple :)

It was my first time at Aero Friedrichtshafen and my main interest was to visit the Avidyne stand as their 540/440 combo seem the obvious cost effective replacements for my non waas Garmin 530/430. What a disappointment, the guy I spoke with had zero customer engagement skills and didnt seem at all interested that I could be a potential customer so I left the stand within a few minutes feeling totally underwhelmed by the experience.

Apart from drooling over a couple of JetProp DLX in the parking lot the best part was the dinner at Felders and seeing so many of the EuroGA crowd.

I doubt I will be back next year but who’s up for Oskosh… now thats a whole different story :)

Last Edited by Rosewellian at 25 Apr 10:02
EGHO Thruxton

AdamFrisch wrote:

What if you have a plane that’s heavier, like mine?

You might want to look at the AIP

They can accomodate up to 220t, which should be enough for you, I guess.

The airport charges document has no 4t limit, and with your noisy engines you’re probably going to pay around 30€/ton, plus 3€/ton approach fees.

There may not be a package that includes the fair entrance above 4t, but so what, just buy the ticket separately.

LSZK, Switzerland

AdamFrisch wrote:

Landing fee and noise fee sheet go up to 4t in weight. What if you have a plane that’s heavier, like mine? Can’t land?

You just pay more. You can land.

EGTK Oxford

@Peter

Landing fee and noise fee sheet go up to 4t in weight. What if you have a plane that’s heavier, like mine? Can’t land?

@Peter: What exactly disappoints you about the type plate of the TBM?

Sadly, I couldn’t make it to the dinner, due to other obligations, but I managed to visit Sebastians booth and met with Alexis. That was nice. Perhaps I can manage to join next years dinner or some closer fly in, eventually.

My arrival was on Tuesday evening, totally straightforward. I liked the VFR departure procedure on Friday, but the different procedure described in the AIP supplement did confuse many other pilots.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

First of all, it was really nice to meet the persons behind the nicks! I had a few interesting and dynamic conversations, thanks for that! Unfortunately I was unable to talk to everybody, but there were so many of you. Maybe next time.

It was the first time I visited Aero, so everything is new to me and for a first time, Aero is really great. Indeed, for me was one day enough, because whole the B-hangars are not my cup of tea.

My absolute highlight of the day was the moment I could convince the salesman to give me the left seat in the front of the new TBM 930. I had not even to mention I have a friend who drives a …
I can get used to that seat, definitely!

I was also very impressed by the Hondajet, love the design and the size of the jet. The PC12 is just too big and the Cirrusjet replica is really not my thing: it just looks like a huge strange toy for adults who still like playing with their toys for boys.

Overall it was a great visit of the A-hangars and it was nice to meet a few persons. Aero for the first time: yes, but, indeed, not something for every year.

Last Edited by Vieke at 24 Apr 19:25
Vie
EBAW/EBZW

Pleasure to meet a few of you for Dinner Friday. Had an interesting flight back Sat pm hedge hopping I belived their weatherman who was very over causious so decided to go ice free.
I agree booking system there is rubbish
Hope to meet you again soon
David

EGCV, United Kingdom

I did so, here

Thank you very much Ian.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
139 Posts
Sign in to add your message