Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Goodwood Revival ban on fixed wing

I don’t like cars much, but the Revival is a fantastic event I think. Indeed it was a shame not being able to fly this year, hopefully they will revise it.

EGTF, LFTF

The gentleman at the flying club who I spoke to on the phone was most apologetic; he did try to lift my spirits by offering Heli transfers from Shoreham for £330 per head return; however that was in an R44 which I thought overpriced as well.

The problem with road transport Peter is that 140,000 folk attend the event and the 15 miles or so from Shoreham to Goodwood would take over 2 hours in the traffic (I’m led to believe).

Perhaps they will consider a Friday arrival and a Monday departure next year.

Velar wrote:

Heli transfers from Shoreham for £330 per head return; however that was in an R44 which I thought overpriced as well.

Overpriced? This is obscene. I quite often hire R44s for work and (at least in the US), they run about USD 600/hr, which is about GBP 450. Given that Shoreham – Goodwood is about 20 miles, a return trip should take no longer than 30-40mins. And a R44 carries three pax (of normal size). Ripoff Britain at work….

Velar, excellent point. Trying to get anywhere, by road, in the UK, is fraught, especially events. Build in 2 hours trying to get in and out of car parks, and the whole thing becomes a disasterous day out. The whole point about having your own plane, is to alleviate these issues, ease road congestion , and put our mode of transport to good use. To anyone bringing their own plane, there should be no landing charge.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Actually if you wanted to stay the weekend Friday-Sunday, you were allowed to fly in.

I drove on the Sunday and traffic was fine. Took 1h35 from and back to central London.

EGTF, LFTF

what_next wrote:

… or a helicopter Maybe the helicopter industry is behind this… But regarding the risk: Helicopters mainly have accidents during takeoff, landing and hover. In most cases they drop vertically with minimal damage and casualties on the ground. Aircraft mainly crash with a high forward speed thereby wiping out whatever is in their way with potentially many more casualties

But I doubt high performance ex-military jets are going to Goodwood. The recommended airspeed for autorotation in a Robinson R44 is 70 kts, my final approach speed, by contrast, is only 50 mph (or about 45 knots). It seems silly to ban light aircraft on the basis of a crash with a high performance ex-military jet and a massive overreaction.

Andreas IOM

denopa wrote:

Actually if you wanted to stay the weekend Friday-Sunday, you were allowed to fly in.
I drove on the Sunday and traffic was fine. Took 1h35 from and back to central London.

I am led to believe it was possible to fly in just for the day. Yes, obscenely expensive, but possible.

Last Edited by I_Love_Flying at 15 Sep 11:35
UK, United Kingdom

Not really a “Revival” then is it?

Sounds like another nail in the coffin to me.

18 Posts
Sign in to add your message