Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Goodwood Revival ban on fixed wing

Not really a “Revival” then is it?

Sounds like another nail in the coffin to me.

denopa wrote:

Actually if you wanted to stay the weekend Friday-Sunday, you were allowed to fly in.
I drove on the Sunday and traffic was fine. Took 1h35 from and back to central London.

I am led to believe it was possible to fly in just for the day. Yes, obscenely expensive, but possible.

Last Edited by I_Love_Flying at 15 Sep 11:35
UK, United Kingdom

what_next wrote:

… or a helicopter Maybe the helicopter industry is behind this… But regarding the risk: Helicopters mainly have accidents during takeoff, landing and hover. In most cases they drop vertically with minimal damage and casualties on the ground. Aircraft mainly crash with a high forward speed thereby wiping out whatever is in their way with potentially many more casualties

But I doubt high performance ex-military jets are going to Goodwood. The recommended airspeed for autorotation in a Robinson R44 is 70 kts, my final approach speed, by contrast, is only 50 mph (or about 45 knots). It seems silly to ban light aircraft on the basis of a crash with a high performance ex-military jet and a massive overreaction.

Andreas IOM

Actually if you wanted to stay the weekend Friday-Sunday, you were allowed to fly in.

I drove on the Sunday and traffic was fine. Took 1h35 from and back to central London.

EGTF, LFTF

Velar, excellent point. Trying to get anywhere, by road, in the UK, is fraught, especially events. Build in 2 hours trying to get in and out of car parks, and the whole thing becomes a disasterous day out. The whole point about having your own plane, is to alleviate these issues, ease road congestion , and put our mode of transport to good use. To anyone bringing their own plane, there should be no landing charge.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Velar wrote:

Heli transfers from Shoreham for £330 per head return; however that was in an R44 which I thought overpriced as well.

Overpriced? This is obscene. I quite often hire R44s for work and (at least in the US), they run about USD 600/hr, which is about GBP 450. Given that Shoreham – Goodwood is about 20 miles, a return trip should take no longer than 30-40mins. And a R44 carries three pax (of normal size). Ripoff Britain at work….

The gentleman at the flying club who I spoke to on the phone was most apologetic; he did try to lift my spirits by offering Heli transfers from Shoreham for £330 per head return; however that was in an R44 which I thought overpriced as well.

The problem with road transport Peter is that 140,000 folk attend the event and the 15 miles or so from Shoreham to Goodwood would take over 2 hours in the traffic (I’m led to believe).

Perhaps they will consider a Friday arrival and a Monday departure next year.

I don’t like cars much, but the Revival is a fantastic event I think. Indeed it was a shame not being able to fly this year, hopefully they will revise it.

EGTF, LFTF

Over ten years ago I think they encouraged you to fly in if you had tickets for the Festival of Speed, and the landing fee was the usual, or possibly may have been included in the festival ticket. Am sure if you turned up in a representative vintage type (Spartan, Cabin Waco, Lockheed Electra Junior) they might waive the landing fee still.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I went a couple of times flying in, and also to Le Mans and the Gran Prix – do you know what – I wouldnt go again. Clearly I just dont understand it enough, but they didnt thrill or inspire and didnt offer value for money, but clearly a huge number of people think differently. Mind you I also cant see the fascination spending the price of a Premier match every weekend – but I would like someone to explain what they see in it ;-)

18 Posts
Sign in to add your message