Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GPS substitution for navaids - Europe generally - is it allowed? (and low vis ops)

There is a lot of national variation e.g. who allows IFR OCAS but most of the equipment carriage rules are implicitly for flight in CAS.

Isn’t the variation limited to defining which space is CAS/OCAS. AIUI EU law allows IFR OCAS, so if a NAA wants to prohibit it, it will work around SERA and define everything as CAS or limit OCAS to areas where IFR wouldn’t work due to MSA etc..

always learning
LO__, Austria

There is a lot of national variation e.g. who allows IFR OCAS but most of the equipment carriage rules are implicitly for flight in CAS.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It’s hard to avoid airspace in UK SE with pannel VOR or small GNS430

You also have to keep M25 highway tightly to your left and away from few aerodromes, none of them appears on your aircraft kit, the other alternatives are to fly an 80DME arc around London (instead of shortcut) or stick to days with ceilings above 2500ft QNH (I think most of people with an IR do the latter)

ATC kick us outside airspace in the “wrong spot”, going from DET to Wycombe, is like going from Chavenay to Lognes in IMC, you have to use your tablet at some point?

Last Edited by Ibra at 27 Mar 08:00
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

@Ibra why? If you have the kit why not use it?🙂

France

appreciate the difference between equipment you use and equipment you are required to carry.

I use SkyDemon to navigate & avoid airspace in clouds while flying to uncontrolled airfields, not as primary navigation of course: I am flying calculated heading on my HSI (vectoring myself, a legit thing to do in Golf), the heading comes from my tablet EFB PLOG

The aircraft is equipped with 2*VOR, 2*GPS, ADF, DME and legal for any airspace & route under FL280

Last Edited by Ibra at 26 Mar 22:49

Exactly and a google on e.g.
tuna sandwich navigation rec.aviation.ifr
does dig up some great original material…

This merely proves that some 20+ years later, people still don’t fully appreciate the difference between equipment you use and equipment you are required to carry.

Administrator

In private flying, one can legally navigate with anything – even with a heading derived from a rubber duck floating in a bucket.

Surely as a rec.aviation veteran you mean “a tuna sandwich”?

Airborne_Again wrote:

Obviously one doesn’t as the CDI scaling and protected area width are different!

I am sure one always sits inside the other but I agree that flying outside CDI scaling on LNAV overlay of an NDB one will not be protected…

If someone is consistently stays within 1/2 CDI deflection of their GPS/FMS they won’t die on NDB overlay otherwise half of airlines would be falling out of the sky anytime they go to Greece or Hebrides….well it may happen with Dive-and-Drive all the way to MAPT with TSO129 non-WAAS GPS with 1500m RVR & 300ft MDH with circling is prohibited with 400ft pylon sitting left abeam the threshold and exactly at 0.15nm, everybody knows that that is why they should always carry an ADF for this special occasion where they disconnect the AP and hand fly the ADF !

Last Edited by Ibra at 24 Mar 19:11

I am having difficulty following this thread now.

In private flying, one can legally navigate with anything – even with a heading derived from a rubber duck floating in a bucket.

This substitution concession is wholly to do with equipment carriage. So I fail to see the arguments about the protected area etc.

Practically everybody uses GPS.

Administrator

Ibra wrote:

Indeed, but from risk-based perspective one should only care if his CDI goes outside the protected area during the substitution?

Obviously one doesn’t as the CDI scaling and protected area width are different!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
278 Posts
Sign in to add your message