Banner
Welcome to our forums

How long is your runway?

PepperJo wrote:

LSZH:

Oh, hello neighbour!

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

LSZH:

As mentioned before typically rwy 28 2500m x 60m for takeoff and landing or 34 3700m x 60m for landing (reduced to 600m for VFR) and rwy 16 intersection E6 for takeoff but had almost every other runway option the short time I’ve been flying there.

Switzerland

ESMK 2215×45m
The shortest I have departed from was 590m, slightly uphill, short grass but damp near the bottom, with high trees near the take-off end. Not overly fun TBH.
I don’t include the high DA strips.

ESMK, Sweden

acquilinus wrote:

My current home base has a comforting 1020 X 20 Asphalt. The shortest I have landed however, is on Bad Salgau 450 X 15 Asphalt (it was with an instructor).

The shortest I landed on was with an Archer on Helgoland’s runway 21which is 370m long (and no, I didn’t take out the fence nor just miss sunbathers in front of the threshold). In case you don’t know what I’m referring to, here’s a video of that particular pilot as reported in the news….

Last Edited by Steve6443 at 13 Nov 09:01
EDL*, Germany

Here’s mine:

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

My current home base has a comforting 1020 X 20 Asphalt. The shortest I have landed however, is on Bad Salgau 450 X 15 Asphalt (it was with an instructor).

Germany

Could I be the one with the easiest (=biggest) homebase runway on here?

Does this count?

Okay, I just moved last week to Flensburg, too early to call it my homebase. EDXE is 980m total with 630ish m TODA/LDA each direction.

But 600 m is a challenge to me, the shortest field I’ve landed on yet was 700something.

If you like, we could train for Baltrum next spring.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Steve6443 wrote:

If you zoom forward 6 minutes into this video

you can see the approach. Note that the camera is hanging down from under the wing hence the sight picture might look a bit skewed – if you were viewing it from onboard, you’d believe you’re high – but if you can land here in a Cirrus, you can pretty much land anywhere. So, fancy a fun flight? Come to Hamm. The town centre is close. Plus you’ve got the option of the Burger King at the end of the Runway or a pretty good Italian restaurant on the field…..

Nice video steve. Hamm looks fun, you even got a stone-paved runway, something which I’ve only previously encountered on Juist (EDWJ) and found it suprisingly smooth to land on. From the video it is hard to judge how steep the approach is. I tend to descend to late and come in high anyways (lack of experience), and it didn’t seem all too high to me.

But 600 m is a challenge to me, the shortest field I’ve landed on yet was 700something. The 3200 m homebase runway doesn’t exactly support precision approach skill (standard approach needs to be PAPI all four white, or you’re landing way too early…)

It seems the others are pretty well distributed between grass strips under 500 m and Lionells 4002 m in Luxemburg…

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Home is 650m Hedge to Hedge.
HV national grid pylons across the approach at 1 end but it’s actually very useful……set up at your approach speed & +/- 500ft min descent, over the wires at 300ft Alt and you’re all set. If not, its just far enough out to have a tweek.
Both hedges have a road on the other side so you need to keep a little height.

United Kingdom

between 553 and 670 depending on who you ask ;-)

LFHN plate

[plate PDF localised because AIP URLs go dead every 28 days]

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France
27 Posts
Sign in to add your message