Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

National CAA policies around Europe on busting pilots who bust controlled airspace (and danger areas)

The URL is above but if you can find it on their website, you are welcome

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A Report from Causal Factors Working Group 2019 has popped up on UK social media.

Page 2 shows “MikeE” to be on it; he briefly popped up here, to a less than stellar reception based on the questions he asked

This is no news

and one wonders why the CAA runs such a harsh regime to punish pilots.

Administrator

Interesting that there is no mention at all of airspace structure or ATC fragmentation. The closest is the discussion about “constricted airspace”.

And of course there is no attempt at taking a systems approach — which was already clear from MikeE’s messages and was a major reason for criticising his study.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 15 Oct 08:56
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Exactly – it is a “study” done from the “inside” of the system.

And who will be doing a PhD in this topic?

Administrator

Well reading through that was not a productive use time. It appears to be very much a willingness to avoid the very obvious issues. In certain areas take2 is a joke, they acknowledge that RPS(not that perhaps many seriously use it now) is for terrain safety, and it reads to me like they view that a secondary to the greater problem of airspace infringments. Which makes sense if the mentality is that infringements cause lots of mid airs.

Was Mike Evans that chap who said he was self funding his phd on his pension?

https://airspacesafety.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Report-from-Causal-Factors-Working-Group-2019.pdf

I believe this is also Timothy erstwhile of this parish.

I agree, it is quite extraordinary that the primary causes have not even been considered and are without comment.

What an utterly pointless excercise.

I can imagine a number of reasons why mind you.

Last Edited by Fuji_Abound at 15 Oct 10:17

Well, yes, Timothy sits on the infringements committee.

The whole thing is an “inside job”.

This is like getting Vlad the Impaler to write a study on the morals of impaling people.

Administrator

So many of the people involved with this seem to be colourful characters. I seem to recall Timothy of this parish has been banned from most of the forums around about. I dont think it is desirable to have people like this involved (for right or for wrong) but simply when people are that controversial they are unable to do a job and not be seen to be biased.

I think the hard truth is Timothy simply says things that most pilots don’t want to hear (but are nonetheless true, however unpalatable these truths are).

Getting back onto the subject, the “Causal factor” report has some interesting numbers at the end: Manchester is no longer the top infringed place, now being topped by Stansted and Southampton. ATZs were about 8% of the busts (although which ones is not listed).

https://airspacesafety.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Report-from-Causal-Factors-Working-Group-2019.pdf

Last Edited by alioth at 16 Oct 09:22
Andreas IOM

I think the hard truth is Timothy simply says things that most pilots don’t want to hear (but are nonetheless true, however unpalatable these truths are).

Which particular things do you think those are?

I don’t know what he got banned for in the other place(s) but given his massive post counts (approaching 100k, I believe) it had to be something pretty big. Forums with adverts just don’t do that routinely! You throw away maybe 10-20% of your click revenue.

He was banned from EuroGA as described here.

now being topped by Stansted and Southampton

Stansted is not surprising due to the airspace structure there, but Solent is a lot less busy yet they find the time for filing an MOR for everything – even the tiniest busts. I have seen the GPS tracks for a couple which only touched the edge, and both got Gasco, as first time offenders. It’s a pity because it is a scenic part of the UK, is hard to avoid laterally in bad wx, and gives transits with much reluctance.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message