Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A bike / scooter to carry in the back of the plane (including electric ones)?

You guys are clearly keener and fitter that I

It’s a state of mind (or what I was told while cycling Trouville uphill)

Last Edited by Ibra at 06 Jul 09:08
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

From France Air Expo: “soon a wooden bicycle compatible with the Robin DR401 baggage compartment”

Edit: made my XG bikes, probably €6k+

Last Edited by Capitaine at 24 Aug 11:55
EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Forget taxi’s, Uber or whatever..

Get one of these, or even four. Just make sure your luggage is in a back-pack. Extra bonus is that you can use it on the ramp, en-route to the ARO. It will easily go through any baggage scanner too.

What is not to like? Well, OK, landing at JFK and going from your steed to downtown Manhattan may be a bit of a stretch.

http://blizwheel.com/

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Good find Aart.
On the other side the wheels look really minute…

Ok, I’ll stick to my ride, yes the one in the foreground
Fits perfectly in my cargo hold and served me well for the past few years.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

@aart – great find! Once I fit into the max load limit one of these will be mine :-)

LSZF Birrfeld, LFSB Basel-Mulhouse, Switzerland

They are already late on their Kickstarter & IndieGogo deliveries, and last news is the “first batch” of… 7 units (out of 1121 ordered, 369 on Kickstarter and 752 on IndieGogo!!) is “98% ready”. I’ve got a bad feeling about this “crowdfunding campaign”. 98% ready means the last 2% take 98% of the time? I hope not.

Last Edited by lionel at 11 Dec 16:42
ELLX

We do have Birdy and Brompton already well established, so why was Helix even born?

Germany

You can always sell something new and different for the leisure business. Yesterday I went into a bike shop and they had e-bikes up to £12k. In comparison, a decent e-bike is about 6k.

The whole scene is expected to collapse soon, due to a stock overhang from the Covid era when “anything bike” doubled in price. The discounts are already starting, but as always in any business where a stock overhang is building up the industry will keep a total silence until it actually crashes.

There should be a market for a compact and lightweight bike – lighter than the Bromptons etc – but it is obviously hard to make one which is still rideable.

Threads merged.

Funny thing is that the first product mentioned (post #2) – https://www.birdybicycle.com/ – goes up to $6.9k.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The specs don’t look all that useful for the the Blizwheel.

Lite version 1.9Kg (great) but no range specified

Standard version 3.9kg range 13km. Unless you are traveling on very flat terrain and as a really slow speed, you can expect to get little more than half the max range in my experience. So about 7km. And for the last 1/3 of the range you’ll be well down on power, so you’ll be scooting up any small incline. So useful range of maybe 4-5km.

Air Special 3.5kg range 13km. Same.

Pro 5.4kg range 24km. So maybe 15km in reasonable conditions at max speed (24kph). Of which maybe 12km has reasonable power. So a 6km return trip.
However the range seems optimistic to me given it’s weight. Xiaomi M365 would be the most commonly seen scooter here. The basic one has a range of 25km, with a 25km top speed, so comparable to the pro Blizwheel on paper. However it weights 12.5kg. Given that most of the weight comes from the battery pack, it’s surprising that the Blizwheel thinks it can do the same range/speed with less than half the weight.

It’s either very delicate, uses some very expensive new technology, or won’t achieve those specs in the real world. It doesn’t look right to me.
Probably very much last “mile” transport.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

One bicycle I’ve been eyeing for a while is the SAVA Z0 Carbon Fiber Folding Bike 14 inch Fixed Gear City Foldable Bicycle
At 6.7kg one of the lightest one, though not really sure how it rides as I’ve been unable to find any vid, nor see one for real… max rider size 173cm so I would fit good

And it’s even offered with genuine new tires, amongst other chenglish gems

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message