Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A bike / scooter to carry in the back of the plane (including electric ones)?

@GA_Pete sure has a point. But… and this is strictly my point of view:
I’ve been in electrical RC flying for >20 years. Never saw nor had any batt fire or such. From the cases directly known to me, all happened during loading, and using the wrong settings.

In the city I live by, namely Zürich, there are thousands of e-scooters in daily use, and there has been few, if any, cases of fire. And the one I now bought, should be the Apple of the scooters

For me, and for me only, the chance of getting an in-flight fire on my never on charge e-scooter, is about the same as a “standard” engine failure…

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

A picture is worth a thousand words, not worth mentioning that the image represents EASA certified equipment which by definition is head and shoulders above the road scooters

IMHO Brompton seems to be the optimal choice here, especially when cheaper clones are available. When flying alone I’m using a Montague bike which fits perfectly into my baggage compartment.

Poland

You don’t say what it was that caused the fire on that G reg glider.

France

gallois wrote:

You don’t say what it was that caused the fire on that G reg glider.

One minute on google… AAIB investigation to HPH Glasflugel 304 eS, G-GSGS

It was arcing in a litium polymer battery for the electric motor.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 24 Jul 06:57
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Ok thanks.

France

hey, I can play scarecrow too, also happens to airliner, look

Found after a 27" net search, Cargo plane catches fire at SFO

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Peter wrote:

Has anyone considered the risk of a fire with an e-bike?

Obviously if it catches fire when you are out, it won’t hurt you, but it is reportedly a common fire cause when charging at home. Or, dare I say it, charging in an aircraft

I have considered it yes, but I’ve not done anything about it. Personally I consider the risk to be very low, but there are a few mitigating factors to that.

1. Mine is a reasonable and well known brand. Xiaomi. It’s the one all the other Chinese companies try to copy and there are probably more of these around than any other scooter. I’ve not come across an incident of one of these catching fire. It’s usually the cheap Chinese copies. I’m sure one of these has, but given they are probably the most common brand (by numbers) and they don’t seem to feature in all the “scooter on fire” video’s, they probably are reasonably safe.
2. I pack it in such a way that there is little chance of movement in flight. So no chance of damage to the battery during flight.
3. I wouldn’t even consider charging in flight. That is totally off the cards. Most of the fires seem to happen while charging. And there is little point. My scooter takes 8 hours to fully charge from the mains. I’m sure it would be a lot longer from an aircraft power socket – probably twice as long. And my flights never last longer than 3.5 hours (most less than 2), so I’m probably only going to be adding 25% power to it. So it’s simply not worth the risk for so little payback.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Dan, I think you choices are about right.
I’m so on the fence with it, that I alternate depending on the nature of the last article I read.
Perhaps I should take another look at the Brompton ‘switch’ conversion because the batteries are significantly smaller and possibly easier to deal with in an aircraft, regarding all options of containment, monitoring and emergency disposal.

United Kingdom

Pete, Brompton do their own battery Brompton. A friend of mine owns one, and normal Bromptons as well, and rates it highly. Not cheap though. The batteries do disconnect easily.

Lee on Solent, United Kingdom

Neil_F wrote:

Pete, Brompton do their own battery Brompton.

Look at one closely, and see that it is actually from a German company :)

Neil_F wrote:

The batteries do disconnect easily.

Even after the free-of-charge upgrade? See https://be.brompton.com/electric-upgrades

ELLX
Sign in to add your message