Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

Damn, that’s some expensive IPA

I used to pay £25 for 5 litres. But even at £75 the cost is still very low for how much you can do with 5 litres. Soak a piece of rag, say 10×10cm, and you can wipe the whole cockpit with that. It leaves a thick layer of alcohol everywhere which evaporates over a few minutes, leaving no residue.

I have plenty of stock myself…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Do you use it on the screen of your mfd and sandels ?

EBST, Belgium

Sparingly, yes, but I rarely clean them since they are not touch screens.

Administrator

Garmin disinfecting guidance: https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/aviation/avionics-care-cleaning-and-disinfecting-guidance/

Does anyone know what this means exactly:

Disinfecting using a solution of 70% isopropyl alcohol that does not contain ammonia is preferred. Solutions of up to 91% isopropyl alcohol are also acceptable.

Can you just dilute e.g. 99.9 % isopropanol with distilled water to get to the recommended concentration? What makes up the other 30 % if you buy 70 % isopropanol? And what could be the reason that they don’t want you to use a higher concentration?

Edit: Well, I found the answer myself here: https://blog.gotopac.com/2017/05/15/why-is-70-isopropyl-alcohol-ipa-a-better-disinfectant-than-99-isopropanol-and-what-is-ipa-used-for

The presence of water is a crucial factor in destroying or inhibiting the growth of pathogenic microorganisms with isopropyl alcohol. Water acts as a catalyst and plays a key role in denaturing the proteins of vegetative cell membranes. 70% IPA solutions penetrate the cell wall more completely which permeates the entire cell, coagulates all proteins, and therefore the microorganism dies. Extra water content slows evaporation, therefore increasing surface contact time and enhancing effectiveness. Isopropyl alcohol concentrations over 91% coagulate proteins instantly. Consequently, a protective layer is created which protects other proteins from further coagulation.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 10 May 21:13

Well found! Every day is a school day.

Sounds like cheap Polish vodka would be about right

Administrator

It is totally obvious from one look at FR24 that nearly all people are now flying non TXP because they don’t want to get savaged on the UK GA chat sites…

I really don’t know anyone who is trying to “hide” like that. I always fly with TXP on with ADS-B squitter. Anything less seems irresponsible in IMC OCAS. If asked by a constable I would have a reasonable excuse for not being at home. If asked by anyone else I would have a reasonable excuse for inviting them to mind their own fine business…

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

In a really hilarious case of unintended consequences the UK has backed down on its 14 day quarantine for inbounds from France after Mr Macron threatened to do the same.

I forecast Spain will do the same thing, followed by everybody else in schengen, so screwing any chance of preventing infected people arriving

This threat of reciprocal action may be why the UK didn’t even apparently consider putting the thousands of skiers into any kind of quarantine.

The detail has not been published yet but the UK appears to have lifted the “leave home for essential travel only” requirement which made the drive to the airport questionable.

So it looks like we will be able to fly to France. Not sure anybody will want to sit in a crowded restaurant anywhere for a long time however.

No doubt the CAA will “clarify” the new rules as “you can fly to France but must remain within 10nm of your UK airport”

Administrator

Is it fair to describe the new UK Government message as a change towards the Swedish model: i.e. from “stay at home” to “pay attention and use your common sense”.

The latter faculty is perhaps not as widespread in parts of Britain as in Scandinavia, so let’s see how it works…

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

I watched the PM’s message and I am still confused. Was there a lifting of anything? To me it just seemed like a [justification|encouragement] to carry on with the same thing we’ve been doing the last few weeks. What did I miss?

LKTB->EGBJ, United Kingdom

They seemed to have removed the "don’t leave home unless doing one of these [ a non exhaustive list of “essential” activities ]" part, which would always give either the real police or the millions of “self appointed police” a reason to criticise somebody who left their house to go to the airport, or do some other activity in which they don’t come anywhere near another person.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message