Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

I also managed a training flight yesterday to finally get back my SEP which lapsed after my daughter was born. Was great to fly around eastern Switzerland… getting into ZRH was a mess due to loads of traffic… appears that lots of VFR people want to try out ZRH while they can.

The case of Slovenia shows how volatile the situation still is. I am in a similar situation as I need to go to Bulgaria in June / July but so far have no idea if they will be open..so far they say from the 15th of June we can travel without quarantine but that can change any second I suppose.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Got my wings back by joining a small flying club. Got the usual check out after disinfecting the plane and wearing the mask in flight.
Good to be back among the flying crowd

LFOU, France

@Emir
“You could’ve landed to Losinj or Pula and then booked something. I just got info from another pilot who did exactly that.”

Yes, in theory, that would have been possible.
In practice, if you have a plan that brings you to LJPZ @1930, with the airport closing @2000, and if you are told @ 1830, midair, that you cannot stay, only transit, and have only 15min back home… what would you have done ?

I was at FL110, i.e. couldn’t work out things from the air.

The other person heard about the issue from me and pre-planned on the ground ;-)

(And yes, it will be Croatia again some time later this year :-) )

Last Edited by ch.ess at 22 May 06:16
EDM_, Germany

Jujupilote wrote:

Got my wings back by joining a small flying club. Got the usual check out after disinfecting the plane and wearing the mask in flight.
Good to be back among the flying crowd

Very glad to hear you’ve found a club you’re happy with. Welcome back..

A colleague working at a Croatian airport phoned the Ministry of the Interior for me.

“yes, until the end of this year, UK citizens are under the same conditions as EU citizens”

New notam:

A2063/20 NOTAMN
Q) LDZO/QAFXX/IV/NBO/E /000/999/4352N01619E999
A) LDZO PART 1 OF 2 ?? 2005191320 C) 2006152359
E) COVID-19: INFORMATION
1/ BORDER CROSSING WILL BE ALLOWED TO ALL CROATIAN CITIZENS,
IMPLEMENTING THE INSTRUCTIONS AND MEASURES OF THE CROATIAN
INSTITUTE FOR PUBLIC HEALTH.
2/ RETURN TO THEIR DOMICILE STATES WILL BE ALLOWED TO THE CITIZENS
OF THE MEMBER STATES OF THE EUROPEAN UNION (ALSO INCLUDES UK
NATIONALS)
AND THE COUNTRIES OF THE SCHENGEN AREA AND THE SCHENGEN
ASSOCIATED STATES, AND THEIR FAMILY MEMBERS, AS WELL AS THE
THIRD-COUNTRY NATIONALS WHO ARE LONG-TERM RESIDENTS UNDER COUNCIL
DIRECTIVE 2003/109/EC OF 25 NOVEMBER 2003 CONCERNING THE STATUS OF
THIRD-COUNTRY NATIONALS WHO ARE LONG-TERM RESIDENTS, AND THE PERSONS
DERIVING THEIR RIGHT TO RESIDE FROM OTHER EU DIRECTIVES OR NATIONAL
LAW OR WHO HOLD NATIONAL LONG-TERM VISAS.
PART 1 OF 2
A2063/20 NOTAMN
Q) LDZO/QAFXX/IV/NBO/E /000/999/4352N01619E999
A) LDZO PART 2 OF 2 ?? 2005191320 C) 2006152359
E) 3/ IN CASE OF BUSINESS REASONS OR OTHER ECONOMIC INTEREST PERSONS
REFERRED TO IN POINT 2/CAN ENTER THE REPUBLIC OF CROATIA
IMPLEMENTING THE INSTRUCTIONS AND MEASURES ADOPTED BY THE CROATIAN
INSTITUTE FOR PUBLIC HEALTH SHALL APPLY TO SUCH PERSONS.
4/ EXEMPTIONS ARE ALLOWED FOR:
– HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONALS, HEALTHCARE RESEARCHERS AND
COLLABORATORS, EXPERTS IN CARE FOR THE ELDERLY, AND PERSONS
REQUIRING URGENT MEDICAL TREATMENT
– CROSS-BORDER WORKERS
– GOODS CARRIERS AND OTHER TRANSPORT PERSONNEL TO THE EXTENT
NECESSARY
– DIPLOMATS, POLICE OFFICERS IN THE PERFORMANCE OF THEIR
ACTIVITIES, CIVIL DEFENCE SERVICES AND TEAMS, INTERNATIONAL
ORGANIZATIONS STAFF AND INTERNATIONAL MILITARY PERSONNEL
IN CARRYING OUT THEIR FUNCTIONS.
– PASSENGERS WITH PERSONAL REASONS THAT CANNOT BE DELAYED.
- PASSENGERS IN TRANSIT.
EXEMPTED PERSONS SHALL BE SUBJECT TO THE INSTRUCTIONS AND MEASURES
ADOPTED BY THE CROATIAN INSTITUTE FOR PUBLIC HEALTH.
PART 2 OF 2

“The Ministry of the Interior told me that in NOTAM mentioned “pax with personal reasons” are even those who have the prove that they have paid the accommodation also can enter Croatia, that the published restrictions are extensively interpreted."

So it looks absolutely ok.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Bembridge Airport posted an update on their website which does not seem to have any restrictions about leaving the airfield site:

https://eghj.extremelynice.net/eghj/

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

wbardorf wrote:

Bembridge Airport posted an update on their website which does not seem to have any restrictions about leaving the airfield site:

I think they just asked/recommended at Sandown, didnt they? I mean they arent going to be physically restraining you if you want to go to the beach, are they?

Sandown was a little more forthright OK, I know it is easy to be clumsy behind a keyboard and many of us have done it when in a hurry but that kind of “mafia style” wording speaks volumes about somebody’s personality. One really should read something one puts on a website before it goes live, so if it is there it must have been intended. We have enough “airport politics” hassle in GA anyway and the last thing most people want is some airport manager blacklisting them so they can’t visit again. Or better still the aircraft reg can’t visit again, which is really great since prob90 the visitor is flying a rental or a group plane.

AFAIK Bembridge has nothing on site so people have to leave the airfield to do anything useful at all. There used to be a reasonable sort of “cafe” there, back in the Britten-Norman days (ATC!) and I went to a few meetings, including one PPL/IR one when I was still in there, maybe 10 years ago. Not sure if it is staffed at all nowadays.

EDIT: just heard UK 14 day inbound quarantine is due to start 8th June. So you wanna get any foreign trips done before then.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In practice, if you have a plan that brings you to LJPZ @1930, with the airport closing @2000, and if you are told @ 1830, midair, that you cannot stay, only transit, and have only 15min back home… what would you have done ?

You’re right – tough decision. Sometimes it’s better to return and re-plan calmly than to continue and improvise.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

That example of Slovenia shows how volatile the situation is. We also were planning to go to Bulgaria in June, they said quarantine was no longer necessary from June 15 on. 2 days later they changed their mind, now it is again. Nobody can predict anything at them moment. I won’t go anywhere where I have to spend half of my holidays in quarantine and the other half getting back to work, as I also need 2 weeks of isolation before they let me back into the office if I have been abroad.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message